cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation on VM Backups

Artifiring
Level 2

I'm looking to see if there is a better way for me to accomplish what I want done with my backup jobs (I admit I am far from a Backup Exec Power User). We are running the new 20.1 version (just upgraded from 2014).

Our current setup utilizes one backup job to backup all servers within our VCenter infrastructure. This is wonderful because when we create new servers they are automatically backed up. The problem with our setup is it only processes a single server at a time, which is causing our backups to be painfully long. I was going to go back to the way we had things Long Long ago and create a job for every individual server so that multiple servers can run at the same time to keep backups moving, but really don't want to have to create all those settings that many times, and have to rely on remembering to create backup jobs for new servers.

Hoping the community might be able to help out with some settings I'm not aware of to easily accomplish both goals (single job, but multiple Virtual Servers backed up at a time).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben-Veritas
Level 4
Employee

The easiest way to accomplish this is going to be to just split up the job so that more VM's can be backed up at once. We don't have mutli steams available yet for backups.

But you don't have to go through and setup all the options for every job now.  If you right click on a server and select backup, at the bottom of the list you'll see "Create a new Backup Using the Settings from an Existing Backup".  This should allow you to create multiple backups using the same settings, you'll just have to change the selections.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ben-Veritas
Level 4
Employee

The easiest way to accomplish this is going to be to just split up the job so that more VM's can be backed up at once. We don't have mutli steams available yet for backups.

But you don't have to go through and setup all the options for every job now.  If you right click on a server and select backup, at the bottom of the list you'll see "Create a new Backup Using the Settings from an Existing Backup".  This should allow you to create multiple backups using the same settings, you'll just have to change the selections.

Thank you Ben,

I saw that option, but wanted to see if there was a more streamlined approach to help cover me for new servers without having to remember to go in and create new backups.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can still use dymaic inclusion if you split your VM's into 'folders' within VMware and then put different 'folders' in different jobs - then as long as new VMs are always placed in one of the 'folders' you will still have dynamic inclusion.(weithin each job it will stil be serial backups

Note: I am not sure of the correct name for the container objects that I have called a 'folders' above and in the past I remember seeing that depending on which view you were using in the VSphere admin tools, that there were different types of container object and that not all of the types were visible in the Backup Exec selections (as such you may have to test this to see which can be seen)