cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended SAS HBA?

IPRO-BGardner
Level 3

Running Backup Exec 2010 R3 on Windows Server 2003 SP2. My tape library is an Overland Storage ARCvault 24 with 2 HP SAS LTO-4 drives.

Our SAS HBA was originally an Adaptec 1045 which worked very poorly.  Currently using an LSI SAS 3442E-R which works better, but still not reliable.  Supposedly you can flash the BIOS on this HBA to remove all RAID functionality and adjust BIOS settings to make it work well with tape drives, but in practice it doesn't seem to be the case.  Drives often drop out of Device Manager.  Event IDs 11 and 129 seen often.  I've tried many fixes: firmware/BIOS settings, different drivers, different versions of Storport, various registry settings, different cables, different tapes, completely replaced the tape library. I'm tired of fighting with it and am looking for an HBA that will just. Work.

What SAS HBAs does the community find work well with HP SAS tape drives?

I'm looking at an HP SC44Ge or an LSI 9200-8e.  Leery of the HP since it's based on the same card I'm using now and I've seen many similar error reports in this form and elsewhere.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

IPRO-BGardner
Level 3

Thanks, Relentim.

We purchased the LSI 9200-8e.  Still seeing the same problems with drives disappearing from Device Manager, but much less frequently.  Only happens about once in two months now instead of multiple times per week.  I can live with it.

Brent Gardner

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Not really the domain of the Connect forum, but we only specficy HP cards. It prevents any issues with support. So my advice would be the HP SAS card!

Thanks!

IPRO-BGardner
Level 3

CraigV-

Thanks for your response.  Can you clarify a bit?

I asked a question in the Backup Exec forum about hardware to use with Backup Exec.  If this is not an appropriate forum for this discussion, will you point me to a more appropriate forum?

"We only specify HP cards" - Are you a Symantec employee?  I couldn't tell by looking at your profile.  If so, are you saying that Symantec now only recommends HP SAS cards?  That's news to me, but if so, I'll jump right on that HP SAS card.  However, I'm concerned about it because I've seen postings here where people describe having the same kinds of trouble with that card as I have with mine.  I'm pretty sure that the HP card is an HP OEM version of what I have.

Thanks again.

Brent Gardner

teiva-boy
Level 6

Symantec does not recommend hardware.  Never has.  Only quoting specs of what to look for.

Now I can tell you with certainty that picking up an LSI SAS card (Even re-branded HP units) or ATTO Tech SAS card with no RAID functions is usually sufficient for supportability and performance over Adaptec.

<--Former Employee.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

All Trusted Advisors are NOT Symantec employees.  Symantec employees or Symantec Tech Support personnel are identified by their own respective badges.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

No I'm not, and I am recommending it from prior experience where HP refused support on a card that was not HP-branded. That's the only reason why I recommended the HP card.

Relentim
Level 3

I hope you fixed your issue.

I have an Overland ARCvault 48, I had a load of problems with the LSI SAS 3442E-R. I purchased a LSI 9200-8e no problems since.

See my post here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/drive-hardware-offline-errors-backup-exec-help#commen...

IPRO-BGardner
Level 3

Thanks, Relentim.

We purchased the LSI 9200-8e.  Still seeing the same problems with drives disappearing from Device Manager, but much less frequently.  Only happens about once in two months now instead of multiple times per week.  I can live with it.

Brent Gardner