cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Server Hardware

license_1edisou
Level 2

Hello,

This is my first time posting on the Symantec website, I have been search around and have not been able to find the answer I am looking for.  I am lookig at purchasing new backup servers and would like to know the recommended hardware requirements.  I have found the documentation that says the minimum is 1 GB of ram but I was wondering if anyone knew how much of a performance increase would 16GB of ram compared to 32GB or 64GB.  Please let me know.

I am running Backup Exec 2014

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

SA_Techie
Level 3

Hi, 

I would recommend you to go through Admin guide, System requirements [Pg no. 63 -65] to get more info on hardware requirements

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are using the dedup option, there are additional requirements.  See the Admin Guide and this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74446

license_1edisou
Level 2

Thank you for your responses, however the pages suggested in the admin guide I have already read, I am wondering what benefits there are if any, if we were to upgrade our servers from 16GB to 32 or 64GB of RAM.  I am not using the dedup option.  Please let me know.

Thank you

license_1edisou
Level 2

Thank you for your responses, however the pages suggested in the admin guide I have already read, I am wondering what benefits there are if any, if we were to upgrade our servers from 16GB to 32 or 64GB of RAM.  I am not using the dedup option.  Please let me know.

Thank you

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Apart from dedup, BE does not require much resources. If you have the minimum 1Gb of RAM for BE above the OS requirement then it should be enough. I have not seen any document recommending a lot of RAM for BE