cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover all Server from Boot CD BackupExec 12... possible?

Achilles1
Level 4
I have server Backup Exec 12 .

One of my backuping servers(Server1 windows 2003) disastered and felt out, and windows doesn't boot on it!

I have backup of this server (full disk C, System state, Shadow copies)! I don't want to reinstall Windows with all drivers, after install agent on it. And after this recover. It's too long way.

Can I recover my server from boot CD (Symantec). Boot from CD, connect to my sever Backup Exec and point from robotic libraries my backup of server1. It's possible? IF yes,can somebody explain how?

I red about Intellegent Disaster Recovery, but bootable CD can do for only one server and after some changes always must change it! And do boot CD for every SERVER! I have more then 70 servers. It's not possible for me.

Can I realize so situation! I have server Backup Exec 12, which do all backups, and if my server couldn't logon, i can recover all servers, boot from ONE BOOTABLE CD use backups from symantec backup exec!

Sorry for English)
1 REPLY 1

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You do not have to create an Intelligent Disaster Recovery(IDR) boot CD for every server. You just have to create an IDR CD for each operating system. Meaning out of your 70 servers, if 15 of them are running 'Windows 2003' and 35 of them are running 'Windows 2008' and 20 of them are running 'Windows XP', then you just have to create 3 ( or 5 based on the platform architecture being 32-bit/64-bit ) IDR CD images for the 3 operating systems (2003, 2008 & 2008R2).

In order to restore your 2003 media server(Server1) that failed, connect your backup(of the Server1) media to another media server (Server2) and do the following.

1. Inventory and catalog the backup media.

2. Try to create an IDR CD image using the IDR boot media preparation wizard ( <BackupExec Install Path>\drprepwizard.exe ) for any 2003 system. Just make sure the 2003 system that you select has the same platform architecture( x86 / amd64 ) as the Server1 that crashed.

3. Now burn this IDR CD image and boot the Server1 using this CD.

4. If you have the .DR file for the crashed Server1 system, then select 'Automated recovery' mode in the IDR recovery wizard and provide the .DR file. Otherwise, select 'Manual Recovery' and re-create the disk layout of the crashed Server1 using the disk management console.

5. Continue with the IDR recovery wizard and select the 'Install networking, and then restore from a remote media server' option.

6. Enter the credentials to connect to the Media server(Server2) and click Next. This will create a 'Temporary IDR User' account on the media server Server2.

7. If you selected 'Automated recovery' then the backupsets will be displayed for you to restore. Select them to restore.

8. If you opted for the 'Manual recovery', then submit the restore jobs from the media server(Server2) for the Server1. Make sure you change the resource credentials of the restore job to the latest 'Temporary IDR User' account that got created on the Server2 media server as a result of Step 6.