cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover job logs from backup

moniker131
Level 4

Our logs are set to 90 day retention. I need to recover some older logs. From what I understand, the job logs are xml files in c:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data. If I recover these files from tape, can I just drop them in that folder and view them in the console?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

moniker131
Level 4

Actually, looks like BE is not being backed up....

I do have backups of the database, can I recover the job logs from there? What I need to know is the date, tape labels, and any errors associated with the jobs.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There are 2 parts to the information available for jobs that have previously run:

1) Job logs - this information is saved in the XML file in the data folder and if you did not back these up there is no way to recover the log itself (even if you did back them up restoring them may not allow them to open in the console (if the job histories are missing) , but you can open them in your browser, which results in an unformatted version where all the information is still available

2) The Job History information - this information is stored inside the BEDB and I believe should include job start and end times as well as media used, basic info on what was backed up and any error conditions. It is however lacking in some details that the job log would contain.

Inside the BE console both of these are visible by double-clicking the record for the job in the Job History pane (lower pane) of the Job Monitor screen (hence if you check with a recent job you can see the differences in the presented infornation). You can end up in a state where the job histories exist but the job logs do not, however if the jobs you are interested in are no longer listed there either, then the job histories have also been deleted and there will be nothing inside that version of the BEDB to go on

You can recover the BEDB to an older date - but if you did not back the XML files up from the data folder as the BEDB.BAK is also usually saved in the same folder you may not have been regularly backed that up either and in reality the only backup of the BEDB you have may be from 04:00 this morning (The automated BEDB backup overwrites the same file by default at 04:00 every day).

If I am wrong about this and you do have old copies of the BEDB (and a DEK export)  then you still can't just restore the BEDB as this would destroy all your newer data if you did this to your production Backup Exec Server. So you then either neeed to mount/recover the BEDB into a separate installation (on a test server) OR mount the BEDB.BAK into a SQL installation and start digging in the job history information manually (Note: we do not write or provide information on how to directly interrogate the structure of our BEDB).

Thanks, Colin. That's what I expected. I have dug into the database already and I think I can get the info I need from there, once restored.