cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover of Files

Maria_W
Level 2

History:

We have a server with Symantec Backup Exec that will not allow us to restore files because the server is corrupted.

The owners of the server have not been able to get this server up and running and do not have the original symantec backup disks.

We have a different server with Symantefc Backup Exec that I copied the DLO files to.  When I try to restore, I can choose the machine to recover from and I can see files and pick the ones to restore, but during the restore process. it goes through each one and they are all errors.   the logs list each file but states "file cannot be found"

I'm assuming this is becuase of encryption and that the original files were stored on a different server.  

Is there a way to get these files recovered on my server?  Do I need a server license number?   Maybe some key that needs to be entered into my system, (somewhere)?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

maria

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if there was encryption involved and you don't have the password key, then you're acing the likelihood that your data is irrecoverable.

Ideally you'd install Backup Exec on the same server, or a different server, and run an Inventory and then Catalog of the tape before restoring the data. This assumes encryption isn't involved. If it is, and you have the key, then enter it in and it should allow the restore.

Thanks!

Maria_W
Level 2

thanks that helps.   No one at the site knows what or where the keys are.  I'm trying Symantec to see if they can give me any information.

Maria w

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you obtain the Recovery Password which is required by DLO's Emergency Restore feature ? If not, then the alternative would be to rebuild the server exactly as original with the original database and then run the restore.

If both options cannot be performed, then unfortunately, there isn't any other method to restore DLO backed up data.

Maria_W
Level 2

HI.   Yesterday you replied to my post.   Unfortunately, the team that owns the server doesn't want to bring it back up.  They want to dump it.   Our site would like to recover the data files for 1 particular employee.

I was able to get license keys from Symantec for our company.  There are about 10 license keys were assigned.  They keys don't specify which machine there are assigned to and no one seems to know which one is for which machine.  (although I do have that information for my server).    I'm still dumbfounded that there is no system here on keeping this information. 

I was able to copy the DLO backup folder off of it the failed machine and copy thyem onto my server.   I can see the files when we try to recover (I created an account for the employee on my server), and I can pick and choose files and folders, but none of them recover over.   

I am able to go to Tools, Install Options and License keys, however, If I over-ride my keys trying to see which key will work for me, will this mess with the functionality of our server?    Last thing I want to do is kill our DLO backups, and have systems 2 down.    (we don't have support on our server any longer)

I'm not a server tech, mostly desktop, and I was wondering how to proceed to try each key on my server without harming the functionality of our server. I found the besernum.xml file that holds our license key and was able to create a new.xml file with the other keys to import.  But I'm afraid to pull the trigger.

Am I going about this the correct way, or should I be doing something else?

thanks for any input you can provide.

Maria_W
Level 2

They can't rebuild the server, they don't have the original disks or anything....  ARGH!