cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering Dedupe Folder?

bpanders
Not applicable

We are a small company, backing up a half dozen servers or so servers and about 70 users' files and I recently had a problem where I had to rebuild a DC which was also my lone Backup Exec Media Server running 2010.  After I rebuilt the server I obviously wanted to reconnect to my dedupe folder.  However, I was shocked when tech support told me there was no way to do so and that I essentially should delete it.  We tried to recreate it but it would not synchronize.  So, within a short span of five minutes they determined it was not worth recovering.  Over 2TB of backups were now deemed useless.

I have since upgraded to 2010 R2 and all patches, but have to wonder, is this really Symantec's stance on this?  I realize I could have called in another case to get another technician, but my experience with tech support has been so poor, and I don't like waiting on hold for an hour and a half to two hours, just to get them on the phone in the first place.  What are others doing in this instance?  If this were to happen again, what should I expect?

Thanks-

Brian

6 REPLIES 6

teiva-boy
Level 6

There is a specific backup and restore process for the dedupe store in BackupExec.  It involved backing up the dedupe folder location, database for the dedupe, and a shadowcopy component for the dedupe services.  When you go to restore, you just restore all of that data.  

Read the Admin guide, there is a chapter on the deduplication option, and a section in there about "preparing for disaster recovery of the dedupe storage folder)

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

robnicholson
Level 6

Can I just check that this is a relatively small backup in that the actual data in the deduplication folder isn't backed up but just enough to restore the structure?

Cheers, Rob.

robnicholson
Level 6

This link doesn't appear to work for me. Is that a KB article?

Cheers, Rob.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Rob,

Just tried opening it now, and it works fine...try the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH143335

robnicholson
Level 6

Ahh - you have to be logged in before the links work. This website (as well as the Citrix one) logs one out far too easily IMO.

Later...

Cheers, Rob.