Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recurrent inconsistent data on media error

iNOK_Support
Level 3
Partner

Hi!

From almost a 1 moth now I have the same backup daily job (the same an only VM on that job) not always but almost every day failing with (BE 12.5 SP4 with AVVI):

An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in LTO4 Drive.
V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

This happens when verifying, after the backup operation. The help from Symantec (from the link) doesn't apply to this issue since the backup is done by Fiber Channel and it's unlikely a network problem since we have no other complaint. I've tried with several diferent tapes an the drive was clean recently (it wouldn't explain all the other jobs running ok). Wierd! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Raul

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Are you using Library-Managed Encryption (LME) ? any encryption ?
Make sure library used is supported as per the HCL ?
Perform the followng steps

1. Clean the tape drive.

2. Attempt to use another tape, or attempt to use the same tape in a different drive.
3. Perform a quick or long erase on the tape.
4. Check the Event Viewer for additional errors, and resolve any Event IDs related to the hardware (tape drive or controller). Please refer to the Related Documents section of this article for more details.
5. Make sure the hardware devices are at the latest firmware and driver level.
6. Contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for additional troubleshooting, particularly if the same errors are encountered when using the native Windows Backup application.

iNOK_Support
Level 3
Partner
I'm not using LME and the Library is an HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 (no problem with HCL)

As I said before on my original post:
  • The drive was cleaned recently
  • The error repeats for several different tape
  • I'm trying to avoid loose the backups by erasing tape
  • No errors on EventViwer besides the one reporting the job error
  • The related documents didn't help in any way
  • The firmware are all up to date
  • No chance to use NTBackup (it won't backup VMware VMs)

With this "behavior" I think the problem is not about drive, tape or library. Thanks anyway.

Regards,
Raul

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have this problem when my jobs span to another tape and the buffer size of my tape drive does not match the blksize.  Once the two sizes are equal, the problem goes away.  See if this situation applies to you.

iNOK_Support
Level 3
Partner

In fact one of the last error on that job it spanned to another tape bur It also failso when only one tape is used