cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirecting restore jobs for Lotus Domino databases

Denis_K
Level 2

Dear Symantec, Our company has made the decision on transition on SBE2010 of a competing product. However there was one problem – in the course of work there is a necessity often enough to use restore Lotus bases point in time in different location. But SBE doesn't possess similar possibility. Absence given functional disturbs to full introduction SBE in the organization. Introduction of similar functional (present at competitors) will allow introduce completely SBE in the organization not only for us, but also Symantec will be allowed to get competitive advantage in the market.

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if this is an idea, you can post in the location below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-archiving/ideas

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The Domino agent is not licenced as part of SBE 2010 because SBE 2010 is meant for use with a SBS version of Windows Server which does not include Domino.  You would have to buy the Domino agent separately to backup Domino.

When you use the Domino agent, you can do point-in-time restore if you have logged databases. You can also re-direct the restore to another location or restore to a different database name.

Denis_K
Level 2

Thanks. But when I use Domino agent I still cant restore "point-in-time to another location".

Point in time restores cannot be redirected.  - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23278 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Sorry, I didn't realise that.  I always do a point-in-time restore in-place.  The reason why you could not re-direct a point-in-time restore could be because the logs are tied to the databases by their DBIID.  If you re-direct to another database, it has a new DBIID and thus does not match the logs.  Quoting from this IBM document

DBIID: You must ensure that you will not have 2 databases on the server with the same DBIID because multiple databases with the same DBIID could damage your transaction logs.

Not being able to re-direct a point-in-time restore could be more a Domino limitation, rather than BE.

Does your other backup product allows the re-direction of point-in-time restores?

As an aside, why do you need to re-direct point-in-time restores?  We only do point-in-time restores if a user delete a mail which is received after the last backup and only if it is very critical.  These are rare occurances.  For other deleted mails, we do a re-directed restore of the backup and then copy over the mail.  

RORWESSELS
Level 2

My place of enployment is also using BackupExec and we are having issues with it and our Domino Servers right now.  That aside, I can confirm what the original poster is saying.  Other products, like Tivoli Storage Manager, will allow you to not only do a point in time restore, but to redirect those restores to a different location.

In many cases the ability to do a point in time restore is made moot by the inability to redirect it to a different location, as the most common reason for doing a restore is when a user say deletes something important, clears their trash, and then waits to tell the help desk until a day later.  By then doing a point in time restore on the in place file is near impossible because the user has already received new e-mail that they do not want to also now lose.

I keep hoping with each new version of BE, that they will add this function, which IS in other products.  But, I fear that Symantec really does not care much about those of us using Lotus Domino.

lsprowls
Not applicable

We don't use Domino transaction logging and I just wanted to make it clear to readers that you can redirect the restores of non-logged databases.

When creating a restore job you have the choice to use the wizard or not. If you do not use the wizard then the menu from which you make your restore selections contains a Destination > File Redirection option. Click File Redirection, select "Redirect file sets" and then you can choose an alternate location to restore your Domino database.

Using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 with Agent for Lotus Domino.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee

Any Domino agent redirection with Backup Exec is a file restore/redirection with no API communication with Domino server.  Even if you choose to restore to a different folder on the original Domino server, it's still a file restore.  The Domino agent has always been this way.  I see that you have already created an item in the ideas section of the forum for this... The more people that ask for this type of functionality, the more likely it will be added to the agent.

Russ