cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registry key added by backup exec 12.5

lasix01
Level 3
I've come across a problem where backup exec 12.5  for windows remote agent is adding a registry key called VMware Inc. to physical servers.
The key is empty and doesn't seem to do anything, but my problem is that these are physical boxes and it comes up as a vulnerability from IA scans.
I can't seem to find any information about this.
I have tried delete ing the key and it comes back unless I first uninstall the remote agent and then delete the key.
Can anyone help with this problem?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As my systems appear to do the same thing (with the key being recreated on a service restart of the BE Remote Agent), I would suggest you log a proper support case with Symantec Technical Support about the issue as it looks like an oversite that was introduced when they added the VMWare agent to the product - as such it is not likely to be solved on a community supported forum.

Your other option of course would be to configure your security product to ignore that key as it is not likely to be an actual vulnerability.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As my systems appear to do the same thing (with the key being recreated on a service restart of the BE Remote Agent), I would suggest you log a proper support case with Symantec Technical Support about the issue as it looks like an oversite that was introduced when they added the VMWare agent to the product - as such it is not likely to be solved on a community supported forum.

Your other option of course would be to configure your security product to ignore that key as it is not likely to be an actual vulnerability.

lasix01
Level 3

I figured as much. I was just curious to see if he was happening to others. Now my burden is to get some documentation on it so I can get an exception from the guys in IA.

thanks for your help

epols
Not applicable
Anyone able to get documentation from Symantec about this one? I have the same problem, but am without a support contract so I can't contact Symantec.