cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registry or Windows Services Recovery?

cadl
Level 3

I need to do a rather selective restore from a backup on Server 2003 with Exec 11d (space issue). I need to temporarily active a propriety database that needs to be running as a Windows service before I can access the database. I've managed to restore the program files, but I assume issues with Windows services would require reinstalling registry files? Is there anything else I'd have to target to get Window services to run correctly? Are these burried in the Windows folders too?

I know this seems to be a clunky way to go about data recovery.

I tried a complete system state recovery, but that only produced signifcant amount of DLL errors and caused me to have to reinstall the OS and start over.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would not be able to achieve what you want without restoring the registry.  What you are trying to do is to, say, recover BE by just restoring the the BE installation directory.  As you are aware, this will not recover the BE services because these are defined in the registry.  This is the way all Windows software operates.  Your software/database should be no different.

You would either need to restore the entire server, including the registry, to a point before the software/database was deleted, or re-install the software/database and then restore the data into the database.  To restore the data into the newly installed database, you would have to consult the software/database vendor.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

restoring program files, registry, ... to have some programs working, is not the way to do a restore.

If you want to restore some files, you can do a selective restore.

If you want to have DR (a disaster recovery) done, you have to restore the whole server at once. If it is a virtual server, just restore the whole vmdk. If you are talking about a phisical server, you have to reinstall the OS, install the backupagent, and restore the complete server.

If be 11 allready support SDR (simple disaster recovery) you can create a be boot cd, start your server with this CD, and restore the server image.

the TN below describes several DR scenarios,

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH83015&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsymaccount-profile.symantec.com%2FSSO%2Findex.jsp%3FssoID%3D1410882816867sQZ60Dw5RX1qXK1yR0Fw1O8bp8X4D2ELJW7f6

cadl
Level 3

Thanks Jurgen. I saw those links before, but was hoping there was a fast way to access my data quickly without the need to do a complete server recovery. Wasn't entirely hopeful my solution would work.

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what exactly do you want to restore? are this files, databases, ....?

maybe there are other sollutions possible

pkh
   VIP    Certified

A Windows service involves some registry entries.  There is no way to restore part of the registry.  It is an all or nothing thing.  There is nothing in BE that would be able to help you to restore part of a registry.  This is not possible.

cadl
Level 3

Very long story short. I have backedup files inside a priopriety database. I need to be able to access this functioning database and thus the files inside of it. The database has no exporting feature, there is no 3rd party utility, and the files are encrypted. The database runs as 3-4 different services on the server (windows 2003 R2).  I'm trying to restore the database it via Backup Exec onto a completely different physical machine. The database files have already been overwritten on the main server and I need to have this seperate physical machine outside of my work environment.

What I've abled to accomplish so far:

• Partition harddrive to same as old server
  • Install OS & Updates (cannot find R2 updates to download, so just* 2003).
  • Install Backup Exec w/out other installation options

From here I"m not sure how to proceed. I can restore the program files, but of course the database services aren't listed in the Windows services and I can't start these services manually. I assume these have to be listed in the registery and are tied in somehow with the WIndows folders and files. Again, I don't know how Windows services generally operate.

May I assume I have to do a complete restore of the entire backup to the new server to have access my database again? I was hoping I could just restore Program Files and the registery, but apparently I need at least Windows files.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would not be able to achieve what you want without restoring the registry.  What you are trying to do is to, say, recover BE by just restoring the the BE installation directory.  As you are aware, this will not recover the BE services because these are defined in the registry.  This is the way all Windows software operates.  Your software/database should be no different.

You would either need to restore the entire server, including the registry, to a point before the software/database was deleted, or re-install the software/database and then restore the data into the database.  To restore the data into the newly installed database, you would have to consult the software/database vendor.