cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall BUExec v.10.0 Rev 5520, retaining the SQL2K database?

William_Bruce
Level 3

Hardware problems force us to reinstall v10.0.5520, which uses an instance of SQL2K on another network system.

How can I reinstall, yet retain all jobs, catalogs, data, etc., as well as NOT overwrite the existing BEDB database on my SQL2K system?

I see TECH articles about copying the Data and Catalog directories, but need detail on the SQL options.

Anyone able to assist?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you or have you not re-installed BE?  If you have, BEUtility will detect the media server.  If not, then it is correct that there is no media server.

the bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf files in my Data folder show a Date Modified of 5/9/2005. 

This is the original BEDB that was part of your original install.  Since your BEDB is on another machine, you can ignore these files.

Do you see a BEDB.BAK file in the Data directory?  This is the backup of the BEDB.  After you re-installed BE, you can use this backup and BEUtility to restore your BEDB.

During the re-installation, you would be given a choice of using the default SQL Express installation or specifying another SQL instance for the BEDB.  If you want to re-use your current SQL instance, you must first delete the BEDB from this instance before the BE installation.  BE cannot use a SQL instance that already have a BEDB database.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1) Stop SQL service 

2) Make a copy of data folder which has BE database.

3) Reinstall BE 

4) Use BEutility.exe to import the BE database.

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49757 for importing BEDB.

William_Bruce
Level 3

I printed article TECH49757. With my current installation, the BEutility displays no Media Servers. Perhaps because I've never used the utility?

Hopefully, everything will make sense during the install. Will I be prompted for SQL options, i.e., options for a local SQL Express versus another SQL instance? Should I take any action on the existing database? I would expect the install to create a new BEDB, overwriting the existing BEDB.

Also, the bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf files in my Data folder show a Date Modified of 5/9/2005. Yet these are the files I'll copy?

Thanks again.

Bill

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you or have you not re-installed BE?  If you have, BEUtility will detect the media server.  If not, then it is correct that there is no media server.

the bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf files in my Data folder show a Date Modified of 5/9/2005. 

This is the original BEDB that was part of your original install.  Since your BEDB is on another machine, you can ignore these files.

Do you see a BEDB.BAK file in the Data directory?  This is the backup of the BEDB.  After you re-installed BE, you can use this backup and BEUtility to restore your BEDB.

During the re-installation, you would be given a choice of using the default SQL Express installation or specifying another SQL instance for the BEDB.  If you want to re-use your current SQL instance, you must first delete the BEDB from this instance before the BE installation.  BE cannot use a SQL instance that already have a BEDB database.

William_Bruce
Level 3

Yes, that all makes sense. We have not re-installed BUExec yet. We're still working with the server in a degraded state, trying to salvage.

I'll delete the BEDB from the existing SQL instance, then use the BEUtil to restore the most recent BAK file to the newly-created BEDB after re-installation.

Thanks!