cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalling Backup Exec 16 and maintain deduplication storage

rogiwara
Level 2

Hello, we have a Windows Server 2008 R2 with Backup Exec 16 FP1 installed with deduplication option, we have to format the server and install the Windows Server 2012 R2 and reinstall Backup Exec 16 maitaining the settings and catalogs, I will follow this technote:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH62744

But I am afraid about this part :

Do not follow this procedure if any of the following are true :

• If the deduplication option is installed

Anyone has already tried this? Will I get the deduplication storage again after the reinstall?

3 REPLIES 3

AlexV
Level 3

I would like to know also about this since I plan to reinstall BE16 from a 2008R2 server to a 2016 server while still keeping our dedup store. 

Also note that this doc seems to be more approriate for moving BE to a different OS; 

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH129826

It's the procedure for moving BE to a different version of the OS but in this one, nothing is said about the dedup store. Very confusing that one doc says otherwise for moving on the same OS but nothing is said about it when moving to a different OS.

Hi AlexV, I will describe what I did and worked for me:

I preserved the IP and Name of the server so keep that in mind.

I copied the Data and Catalogs folder to a safe location, formated the server and installed Windows Server 2012 R2 preserving the deduplication partition, after that I put the same drive letter on the deduplication partition, installed the Backup Exec 16 (same build/feature pack) and imported the existing Deduplication folder, after that, stopped the services and copied back the Data and Catalogs folder and all my settings were back.

My concern was with the fact that if you do a fresh install of BE it does not install the deduplication services and when you try to put back the Data and Catalogs folders the services won't start, so I think importing the dedup folder first fixes that.