cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Administration

Deborah_Wheaton
Level 3
After upgrading from 10.0 to 10d Backup Exec Remote Administration (upgraded to 10d version on workstation).......fails with the error message "the network name cannot be found"....anyone else have this??? We do not have a domain....in the prior version we entered the server name, entered the user name & password, and wiped out the domain and it always worked fine
5 REPLIES 5

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
worth a try-

When logging in, type the name of the Backup Exec Server in the Domain Box

Deborah_Wheaton
Level 3
Well...I tried that and it still throws the same error. It's interesting that it says under "services" at the bottom that it is quereying......

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Well, 'network name not found' would seem to indicate a name resolution problem- can you ping the backup server from your remote console? Can the backup server ping the remote console? If you have no domain, you are relying on \etc\hosts and \lmhosts entries correct?

The querying services would be normal under your circumstances- its trying to find the server too.

Deborah_Wheaton
Level 3
I can ping both the backup server from the remote console and the remote console from the backup server. Both machines have correct entries in the hosts file. In fact in order to administer the backup server from my machine I have been RDPing in. Any more ideas???
Thanks!

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Can you browse the Sever througth Windows Network Neighborhood?

Does the Ping by IP work?

Is NetBIOS enabled on both the servers?

Verify that the services on the media server are running.

Try running IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS and then /REGISTERDNS commands.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.