cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent Error Backup Exec 2010

ltjimster
Level 6

Hello guys,

I ran the install remote agents from the media server to 3 other servers and 2 went through fine but 1 didnt, so i thought i'll do it manually, which it mentioned there is a previous version and it will be upgraded with the new one and it still failed with this error;

Any suggestions??

Thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ltjimster
Level 6

I'm not 100% if this is what sorted but i tried everything else and had afew restarts and nothing seemed to work. 

I went in to Command Prompt and typed in this command;

"fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\"

Press enter and it said the "operation was successful" and then I made sure it was removed from add/remove programs then i restarted the server.

Tried running the install locally again and it still mentioned about the previous version, so i continued and it was Successful this time, HOORAY :D :D

I dont know which message to mark as solution

Thanks

James

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What if you first remove the old version of the agent and try the installation again ?

ltjimster
Level 6

I will try but i think it removed it prior to installing the new one, plus when i installed the Backup Exec on the Media Server it mirgrated my settings from the old version then removed the old version for me

Thanks

James

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Remove .NET Framework, and try setup again. During the installation of the Agent .Net will be reinstalled.

ltjimster
Level 6

I have been going to this location to run the setup.exe file, is that right??

\\servername\C$\ProgramFiles\Symantec\BackupExec\Agents\RAWSX64 \setup.exs

Thanks

James

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, if it is a 64-bit remote server.

ltjimster
Level 6

yes it is, okey dokey i will get back when i've tried the removing of .NET Framework and see what happens 

Thanks

James

ltjimster
Level 6

Didnt work removing .NET Framework I'm afraid :(, any more suggestions??

Also tried installing Backup Exec 2010 on my other media server and it fails at a SQL server Express installation part but Microsoft SQL Server Express was already installed and it said passed the Pre-installation, so i dont know why its trying to install it.

Thanks

James

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi James,

With the SQL Express issue you can always install SQL Express manually, or post the error here.

Stop any AV you have on your server and try the installation of the RAWS agent once more (either push-install or manually).

Thanks!

ltjimster
Level 6

i tried manually installing Microsoft SQL Express 2008 R2 restarted the server and still the same.

I've uninstalled our Anti-Virus completely and that hasnt helped either :(

Thanks

James

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Hi ltjimster,

This is not an error related to .NET Framework installs. The error you are receiving is related to our attempt to install the Visual C++ 8.0 Runtime Redistributable from Microsoft. During the remote agent install you are receiving a failure while it is trying to update/register these components.

One thing you may want to try is a repair or uninstall/reinstall the Visual C++ 8.0 runtimes from Add/Remove programs (Programs and Features on 2008 and above). WARNING: Other installed programs may depend on these runtimes as well, so removing them could render those programs unusable while you are performing this maintenance.

If you receive errors during the repair/reinstall of these redistributable components, then you can open a case with Microsoft or our support team for a resolution.

The VC8 redistributable is on our installation DVD in a directory called VCREDIST if I remember the name correctly.

I did a quick google search, and I do not see any technet articles with a solution for this issue published by Microsoft yet.

Hope this helps,
Nick

ltjimster
Level 6

I dont have the Visual C++ 8.0 Runtime Redistributable, I have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 & 2008 x86 V9.0.30729.17 installed on the Agent Server in question but its also installed on the other 2 Agent Servers and they went installed fine.

I will try Uninstalling it from the Agent Server and reinstall.

What about installing Visual C++ 2010 x64 version???

Thanks

James

ltjimster
Level 6

I think i've narrowed it down to Visual C++ 2005 SP1 issue because i removed Visual C++ 2005 package and reinstalled it, that went through fine.

then i tried running the Visual C++ 2005 SP1 package and i get that error 1935 again

Thanks

James

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

You are correct. That is the package we are trying to install during the Remote Agent install. If you have a support contract with Microsoft, I would recommend opening a case with them. If you do not, then open one with our support group and they can get Microsoft involved for a resolution.

Thanks,
Nick

ltjimster
Level 6

How do I open a support group on here then please?? :)

Also, I've sorted the other issue i mentioned with upgrading Backup Exec 12.5 to 2010, failed installing Microsoft SQL Express i used this link http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64580.

I could only delete 2 of the entries in the registry because the other 2 wasnt there, plus the SQLGroup and FTSGroup Entries and I had a SQLGROUP BK & FTS GROUP BK as well so i deleted that as well.

Now successfully Upgraded to Backup Exec 2010 R3 :), Hooray

Thanks

James

ltjimster
Level 6

I've gone onto a Microsoft Forum and post my problem there as well now but I've noticed that when i try to install the Backup Exec agent Locally, it says there is a previous version installed but when i look in programs and Features its not installed and its not in Program files either.

Do i need to delete Registry Entries to get rid of it completely??

Thanks

James

fginacio
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Try to remove manually the RAWS and reboot your server.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH8798

After reboot, try again to install the RAWS thru the remote server .

ltjimster
Level 6

I'm not 100% if this is what sorted but i tried everything else and had afew restarts and nothing seemed to work. 

I went in to Command Prompt and typed in this command;

"fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\"

Press enter and it said the "operation was successful" and then I made sure it was removed from add/remove programs then i restarted the server.

Tried running the install locally again and it still mentioned about the previous version, so i continued and it was Successful this time, HOORAY :D :D

I dont know which message to mark as solution

Thanks

James

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi James,

You'd ideally mark the post that either directly helped, or helped the most. In this case it doesn't seem like anybody suggested what you did, so I marked yours.

Feel free to change if need be!

Craig

ltjimster
Level 6

Hi Craig,

Okey dokey, no thats fine thank you, it'll take that :p

Thanks for all your help Guys :D

James