cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent Question

Andrew_Perry
Level 4
Hi,

Do I need to purchase a remote agents (RAWS) for EACH remote server that I wish to back up? Or will 1 RAWS allow me to backup as many as I want?

I was always under the impression that I needed 1 per server, but I have just read in another post on here that buying a RAWS will allow me to backup as many remote servers as I want??

Thanks

Andrew
3 REPLIES 3

Lou_Buffetta
Level 5
Employee
Hi Andrew

That is correct.

Back in the days of version 8 & 9, one Remote Agent license was needed per server being backed up. Symantec now issues Site Licenses which means you can install the Remote Agent on as many servers as you want to backup - so long as they are all on the same site.

Andrew_Perry
Level 4
Thanks for the reply.

So is there different types of Remote Agents, such as a specific site license, or will the Remote Agent that I purchased as part of the Advanced Open File Option suffice?

The actual license that I purchased is "Symantec Backup Exec AOFO 11D WIN Advance Open File Option WITH AGENT for Windows Systems STD LIC GOV BAND S"

Does this license cover me for multiple remote servers, or is there a different remote agent that I will need to purchase?

Thanks again for your reply.

Andrew

A_Russell
Level 4

@Lou Buffetta wrote:
Hi Andrew

That is correct.

Back in the days of version 8 & 9, one Remote Agent license was needed per server being backed up. Symantec now issues Site Licenses which means you can install the Remote Agent on as many servers as you want to backup - so long as they are all on the same site.

Lou,
I just spoke with a Symantec rep this afternoon, and they told me that I do need one Remote Agent license per server and that they did not offer site licenses. 

Is this documented anywhere? 
Thanks!