cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent Upgrade Errors Push Solution

EndUser1
Level 2

After several months of dealing with a feature that should work and talking to tech support and listening to them attempt trial and error on a variation of this procedure and then realizing that maintaining my backup server is a manual process that requires finding solutions that Symantec can't figure out, Try this:

On your Media server-
1.Browse to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents
2. Go to the agent folder you are having issues with. (RAWS32 or RAWSX64, etc)
3. Goto the Updates Folder
3. Create a folder called OLD and move all of the updates ending with .msp to the OLD folder

32-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWS322213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWS32\Updates folder

64-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWSx642213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64\Updates folder

4. Try and push a remote agent install now..

Basically, you would expect when you upgrade your BE12.x installation, the install process would check this folder and make sure the proper updates are in this folder and remove any updates (.msp files) that arent needed.

In the case of 12.5 SP3, One would expect the SP3 agent update to contain all previous SP1. post-SP1, SP2 and post-SP2 hotfixes but with Symantec, you never know.

If you check the version of the remote agent on the remote server by going into the Backup tab on the media server, selecting a server and then selecting properties. If the version says anything other than x.x.x.158 then stop and restart the agent on the remote server, hit F5 in your Backup source selections and check the version properties again.
(ie, I see version 12.5.2213.158 after all is said and done)

1 REPLY 1

UKRonaldo
Level 3
Your instructions worked perfectly. I've been encountering this issue for last year and am glad to finally find workaround.

Thanks for taking time to post this.