cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent Versions

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Recently I did an upgrade for a customer, backup exec 2012 SP3 to SP4. The upgrade went well, no problems at all. So after the upgrade I told the customer to plan the agent upgrades. I demonstrated how to do this in the bexec gui by right clicking the server and then click update. I tryed this on one of their servers and the agent went to version 14.0.1798.1373.

After couple days I hear back from customer that some agents cannot be pushed so I explain to him the local installation method by copying the RAWS64 folder and running setupaa64.cmd.

Again the customer mails me that agent installations now work but the version number goes to 14.0.1798.1364...which is lower then the one I did from the gui.

I tryed doing the install local again by myself and I got the same version, I see no errors popping up during the installation...I see the command prompt window which closes after about 4 seconds and then a _setup.exe process runs on the server for a while. When that was done I rebooted the server...still the 1364 version. I also tryed killing any msiexec.exe processes before running setup64.cmd but still no luck. I did NOT try to remove the agent and reinstall from scratch...these servers are not easy to reboot for the customer and time windows are short for reboots. It's all physical servers and mix of regular, oracle and sql...

Also backup exec gives no mention of the agent needing an upgrade in the job logs, the backups run fine with "green" status, so no warnings.

So my question is, is it normal that the version is not the same ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I figured it out, its the console that reads the version incorrectly. When I check the individual file binary versions using the spreadsheet attached to the latest hotfix technote (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217347) all of the versions are correct and up to date.

The spreadsheet is under "Attachments" in that technote

So thats why backup exec gives no warnings about agent being not up to date in the job logs...

EDIT: Vjware: Thanks for your reply. As you can read I found it out but also that hotfix is installed.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

14.0.1798.1364 is the correct version of BE 2012 SP4, whereas 14.0.1798.1373 is the version of BE 2012 SP4 and HF 217347

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I figured it out, its the console that reads the version incorrectly. When I check the individual file binary versions using the spreadsheet attached to the latest hotfix technote (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217347) all of the versions are correct and up to date.

The spreadsheet is under "Attachments" in that technote

So thats why backup exec gives no warnings about agent being not up to date in the job logs...

EDIT: Vjware: Thanks for your reply. As you can read I found it out but also that hotfix is installed.