cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent not showing up in Backup Exec

Hooble
Level 3

Have installed Backup Exec 2010 R3 on a new Windows Server 2008 R2 installation.

Attempting to backup a domain joined server (the new server that runs backup exec is not part of the domain).

Have installed the Remote Agent using a local backup account.

The Remote Agent is set to publish information to the ip address of the backup server and the Trust seems to be in place.

However, i can't see the server in Backup Exec and when i run the Debug monitor i get this message over and over...

BENETNS:  [09/21/11 17:52:51] [4192]     [nrds]               - Accepted new connection.
BENETNS:  [09/21/11 17:52:51] [4192]     [nrds]               - AcceptConnection: SSL was requested
BENETNS:  [09/21/11 17:52:51] [4192]     [nrds]               - AcceptConnection: Failed Server Side SSL handshake.
BENETNS:  [09/21/11 17:52:51] [4192]     [BESocket]           - @@@@@@@MyCloseSocket called with sockfd = 568(0x238) retval = 0

11 REPLIES 11

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Any particular reason that your media server is not a Domain Member?

Have installed the Remote Agent using a local backup account.

The Remote Agent should always run as Local System Account.  What rights does the account are you connecting to the remote server have in the Domain?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163676

Regards...

Hooble
Level 3

The Remote Agent services runs as Local System Account, i used an local administrator account on the server to push the install of the Remote Agent.

Hooble
Level 3

Thanks but I've tried the hotfix from that link. Still get error message.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

When you defined the connection to the Remote Server, what account did you use, and what rights does it have on the Domain?

Again, is there any particular reason that the media server is not a domain member server?

Hooble
Level 3

Connection to the Remote Server uses a local administrator account on the server to be backed up. It's not a member of any domain.

We're in a branch office with no rights to administer the domain our server and PCs are member of (all we have is the local administrator password to the server), and we want to set up a local backup of our server,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Presumably your server is a DC.  You would not be able to backup its system state which contains AD if you do not use a domain administrator account.  Without the system state, you would not be able to restore the server.

Hooble
Level 3

Strange as it may seem, the server is not a domain controller :)

And even if that prevented us from backing up system state it shouldn't cause the handshake error?

mg4
Level 4

Hi Hooble,

is SP1 installed on your BE 2010 R3 Installation?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried to access this server using an user defined selection ?

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What you could actually be facing is Known Issue. Refer to the following link:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/issues/remote-servers-do-not-show-under-favorite-resources-b...

Also refer to this technote and subscribe to it "http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH168154"

(Note: I understand that this is an old post and the original user may not look at it. But there are hundred other users who may get the required answer from this post)

Thanks,

-Sush...