cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent on local backup server itself?

PhilaGovTIM
Level 2
Greetings!  A quick, nit-picky question:

Should the "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers" be running/installed on the same server that the Backup Exec program is installed on?

I'm just wondering, if no other reason, because the backup time for the local Windows server (which has the Backup Exec 9.1 for Windows program on, the same server that I refer to in the above sentence) is exponentially greater than the amount of time it takes to backup a remote server.  Perhaps the Remote Agent is a cause of the extended time it takes for the local backup?

Thanks for any insight that you might provide!

Message Edited by PhilaGovTIM on 04-11-200704:34 AM

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yes, as of v9.0, ALL file access is done via the "remote" agent, even on the media server.

What kind of data is on the media server>  Exchange, SQL, File and Print, Applications?

PhilaGovTIM
Level 2
It's just a file server, Ken.  With Backup Exec installed & connected to the LTO drive.

Thanx for your response!

@ken Putnam wrote:
Yes, as of v9.0, ALL file access is done via the "remote" agent, even on the media server.

What kind of data is on the media server>  Exchange, SQL, File and Print, Applications?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Couple of things to check

is the tape drive on it's own controller (at the very minimum, it's own channel)?
are there lots of small files This can really slow down backups
How badly fragmented is/are the HardDrives?

PhilaGovTIM
Level 2
yes, the tape drive is on its own controller and there are lots of small files - my agency definately uses lots of word/excel files.

i'm going thru a defrag process right now, as the drive was recommended for defrag.  i'll report back early next week after the defrag and weekend backup!

@ken Putnam wrote:
Couple of things to check

is the tape drive on it's own controller (at the very minimum, it's own channel)?
are there lots of small files This can really slow down backups
How badly fragmented is/are the HardDrives?