cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent problems

ltjimster
Level 6
Hello there,

I'm having problems with my Backup Exec 12.5 Software, I've got 2 new servers which both have a copy of Backup Exec 12.5 on them licenced, we installed on 2 because our backups are so big so i have to set 2 jobs going each night.

I've got 3 over servers which we backup but i've getting errors regarding purchasing and install the licence key for the appropiate backup remote agent.

I have 3 licences for the remote agents servers and have enter and installed licence keys on both of the Media Servers (2 New Ones), but i'm still getting the same problems. Plus one of the 3 remote servers used to have Backup Exec 10d but i removed that i wanted to install remote agent on that one but i wouldn't let me.

Cheers
Jamie
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ltjimster
Level 6
All sorted thank you very much, just needed to remove the licence keys for backup Exec and for Remote Agents from the "Install Option and licencse key on this media Server" in tools............Press next, next , next until its finished doing whats doing then finisgh after that just go back into the Install licence key section and re-type in the licence key again and works spot on now............Thank you Symantec

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
 As you can upgrade backup exec directly from 10d to 12.5 , the same stands true for the remote agent . Hence uninstall the 10d remote agent and install 12.5 agent.

Please let me know what error are you getting while installing the agent . Did you rebooted the server before you tried installing 12.5 agent .

Also if you are trying to backup a server from two media servers , then try putting the name of both media servers under the publishing tab in the remote agent utility .

You can also remove and reinsert the license if in case backup exec is not seeing the licenses installed .

ltjimster
Level 6
Well we uninstalled it completely from the server which had 10d because its an old server now and, so we decided to put the new Backup Exec 12.5 software on 2 freshly installed servers.

I've managed to install the Remote agent now on the server that wasnt installing by doing it locally, does remote agent need to be installed on the 2 servers that have the backup Exec 12.5 as well or is it just on the remote agent servers because i have 5 servers altogether and 2 of them have the Backup Exec 12.5 Software on?

Also i ran a License Assessment Tool Report and it said i had to buy about 5 licences for Remote agent.

Thanks
Jamie

RobReab
Level 3
FYI: You CAN NOT upgrade directly from 10D to 12.5. Only from 11d. I've just gone through this and had to update to the trial version of 11d first.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319925.htm

ltjimster
Level 6
Sorry it was 11d not 10d but i'm not trying to upgrade it from 11d to 12.5 anyway because the new software is on my 2 new servers not the old one we've been doing it on in the past, that one is now just got Remote Agent installed on it.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

does remote agent need to be installed on the 2 servers that have the backup Exec 12.5 as well or is it just on the remote agent servers

The "Remote Agent" isinstalled on the media server during install, since it is used to actually access the data on each source server

Also i ran a License Assessment Tool Report and it said i had to buy about 5 licences for Remote agent.

I've found that the LAT is a place to start, not gospel.  If you have 5 servers total and 2 media servers, you only need 2 RAWS serials

ltjimster
Level 6
Well according to the LAT my media servers with Backup EXEC 12.5 are licenced no problems there, so should i unistall the remote agent from the 2 Media Servers and just leave it on the 3 other servers?........ i have a licence key for 2 backup Exec 12.5 and a licence Key for 3 remote agents which obviously gives me my total of 5 servers.

Does it matter if you install the remote agent on a server through the Backup Exec Software or installing it locally on the servers you want to install remote agent.

Kali_Elysees
Level 3
Employee

Right..

Yes, you cannot upgrade from 10d directly to 12.5 you definitely need to install 11d first and just run an eval mode with it while you're on the process of upgrading to 12.5 /or you can uninstall 10d and do a fresh installation for BUE 12.5 software.

With regards to Licensing, just remember BUE licensing is 1 is to 1; meaning 1 server license is to 1 physical base server, 1 remote agent (Agent for Windows Systems) is to 1 remote client. Same thing applies with the other agents like EXCH, SQL, and etc. Also, BUE is all in one download (all agents and options except for Linux) you just need a license key to enter on the application for the specific agent or feature you wish to activate.

If you believe your licenses are congruent with servers and clients that you're backing up but gets a confusing report upon running LAT, then it best advised to contact Symantec Customer Care (Licensing Dept) so we could check your licensing account.

If you have any further customer service queries, please contact us by login a case on https://mysupport.symantec.com/

You can also access further information on our web site by visiting http://www.symantec.com/en/uk/business/support/index.jsp

US Phone number:  1-800 721 3934
UK Phone number:  +44 (0)870 243 1003

---
Hope that helps. :)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
i have a licence key for 2 backup Exec 12.5 and a licence Key for 3 remote agents which obviously gives me my total of 5 servers.

correct

Does it matter if you install the remote agent on a server through the Backup Exec Software or installing it locally on the servers you want to install remote agent.

As long as one or the other media server has the RAWS serial installed, you can either push the Agents to the other machines or  do a local install on each of them

Also.  As long as you have the correct number of remote agent serials installed, ANY Media Server can backup ANY Remote Agent.,   you are not tied to the server that pushed the agent

ltjimster
Level 6
All sorted thank you very much, just needed to remove the licence keys for backup Exec and for Remote Agents from the "Install Option and licencse key on this media Server" in tools............Press next, next , next until its finished doing whats doing then finisgh after that just go back into the Install licence key section and re-type in the licence key again and works spot on now............Thank you Symantec