cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent service keeps dying

Philip_D
Level 5
I'm currently having an issue with one of my 10d remote agents consistantly dying, and thus not allowing this particular server to backup.  It was working fine for a long, long time until the end of last week.  The service stops and will not restart for more than a few seconds before dying again.  Occasionally, it won't even restart and will give an error.  My event viewer just has this to say, as well as Event ID 7034:

The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 9 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I'm pretty stumped.  I already uninstalled and reinstalled the remote agent to no avail (it worked for one night and then presumably crashed again the next night since my backup failed).  I can't afford to keep uninstalling and reinstalling the remote agent, as it requires a server reboot and coordinating said reboot with a different department. 

Other info: Server 2003 x64 Standard, using 64 bit remote agent.

Any help is much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

chicojrman
Level 6
Apply all your hotfixes and patches. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284155.htm

Philip_D
Level 5
I don't think that's the exact problem I'm having, but I'm trying some of the things mentioned in that help document.  Your help and any other help is greatly appreciated.

edit:  Indeed, I just confirmed in my event log that the service is crashing long before the backup job ever attempts to start.

I also just realized another error in my Event Log:

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 10.1.5629.0, faulting module ndmpcomm.dll, version 10.1.5629.0, fault address 0x0000000000018406.

Philip_D
Level 5
Interestingly enough, turning off Advertising fixed the issue.  This may make my switch to BE 12.5 a bit harder, but it's the only solution I can find that will allow my backups to continue successfully with my current setup.