cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agents

rustypeterson
Level 3
I was wondering if there was a quick and easy way to find out what remote agents are installed on my various servers. For instance, I have several DB's to back up and would like to know if a SQL agent is actually installed on these machines.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Rusty,

Just to clear some things up:

1. No agents (such as Exchange, SQL, Lotus Notes etc) are actually installed on your servers. These are licenses which unlock the functionality to backup those application from the BEWS media server itself. The only requirement to do this is to have the Remote Agent for Windows Servers installed on each server needing it. All you would see on your server being backed up is the RAWS agent itself...not an associated SQL agent for example.

2. I would rather check the server's Services.msc and see if Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running. If it is, take this as RAWS being installed. Checking the installation folder might lead to a false sense of RAWS being installed, where it's just legacy folders left over from an uninstall. Furthermore, you can go to your selection list and browse your server. If you can browse the server and see directories (and be able to select them!), RAWS is installed.

Laters!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

There are many ways to check if the remote agent is installed on the remote servers

1  : Remote agent Service : Check if the Backup Exec Remote Agent Service is present in the services mmc
2  : Directory Structure : Check if C:\Program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS folder is present or not.
3  : In the start menu you will find Symantec-->Remote Agent Utility under All Programs.

Hope this helps...

CraigV
Hi Rusty,

Just to clear some things up:

1. No agents (such as Exchange, SQL, Lotus Notes etc) are actually installed on your servers. These are licenses which unlock the functionality to backup those application from the BEWS media server itself. The only requirement to do this is to have the Remote Agent for Windows Servers installed on each server needing it. All you would see on your server being backed up is the RAWS agent itself...not an associated SQL agent for example.

2. I would rather check the server's Services.msc and see if Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running. If it is, take this as RAWS being installed. Checking the installation folder might lead to a false sense of RAWS being installed, where it's just legacy folders left over from an uninstall. Furthermore, you can go to your selection list and browse your server. If you can browse the server and see directories (and be able to select them!), RAWS is installed.

Laters!

CraigV
Hi Rusty,

Come right here?