cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Install of DLO failing

Conrad_Y
Level 4
Environment: BE 12.5 SP3, running on Windows Server 2008 x64 SP2. 

I am trying to perform a Remote Installation of DLO/Advanced Open File Option to Windows 7 x86 laptops.  Laptops also have SEP 11.0.5002.333 installed (including Network Threat Protection).

I am able to authenticate successfully when adding remote computers, but then I get this error dialog:
Symantec Backup Exec(TM) 12.5 for Windows Servers

An error occurred while attempting to connect to the remote server \\mylaptop.  The returned error is "The RPC server is unavailable."

Verify that the remote server exists, that the name is spelled correctly, and that you can establish a network connection to it.

For Windows Vista/Server 2008 computers, ensure that File and Printer Sharing and Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) are enabled on the Windows Firewall Exceptions list.
On p. 91 of the BE manual, it has this note as well:
Note: To push-install options to a computer that runs Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) version 11.0 or later, you must configure SEP to share files and printers. File and printer sharing is turned off by default.
I believe I added the rules to allow this in the SEP firewall, as per instructions in the SEP documentation.  But the install still fails.  What am I missing here?  Thanks for the assistance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Jeal
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
The Software Compatibility List for Backup Exec 12.5 (available at exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/307063.pdf ) shows that Windows 7 is not supported. The most recent workstation OS supported for RAWS\DLO in v12.5 is Vista.
Windows 7 support for DLO was brought in with the recent release of Backup Exec 2010.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
From the media server, if you try getting to \\mylaptop\C$? This will be a test for file and print sharing.

Thanks

Conrad_Y
Level 4
Yes, I can get to all of \\mylaptop\c$\ from the media server server.

Conrad_Y
Level 4
Is this actually working for anyone using SEP 11?  I would be interested in hearing from someone if you're using both BE DLO and SEP.

Conrad_Y
Level 4
Is the DLO in BE 12.5 compatible with Windows 7?

Conrad_Y
Level 4
I was just able to perform a remote install successfully with Win XP SP3.

When looking at the bepushes.log file, I am getting this error when trying to push to a Win 7 PC:

2:(02/10/10 16:42:43)->ERROR: Code(-2147023174): connecting to remote wmi: \\manteca\root\cimv2, mydomain\administrator

Any translations of this error?

Paul_Jeal
Level 4
The Software Compatibility List for Backup Exec 12.5 (available at exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/307063.pdf ) shows that Windows 7 is not supported. The most recent workstation OS supported for RAWS\DLO in v12.5 is Vista.
Windows 7 support for DLO was brought in with the recent release of Backup Exec 2010.

Conrad_Y
Level 4
Can you say if Symantec will ever support W7 in the DLO in BE 12.5?

It's more than a little frustrating that BE 12.5 has been out for only 16 months and Windows 7 has been GM for 7 months, but I will have to purchase yet another product to obtain the desired functionality.

Paul_Jeal
Level 4
I am sorry to say I am not currently aware of any plans to support Windows 7 with BE\DLO 12.5.

Vnoome
Level 2
For Windows 7 users, please note that DLO function with BENT 2010 is fully functional.
Upgrade from 12.5 was hairy and ended up having to do a fresh install as there were problems with the DLO database upgrade.
Was not able to start the DLO feature.... Did not have time to look for what was wron and did my fresh install....

A few new nifty features in the DLO....using AD for profiling groups which I like...

Enjoy it BENT 2010 not too bad one you get it going!!!