cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Install:"RPC Server is unavailable" + "Selection...item is disabled"

Scot_Henry
Level 2
I've done a local install of the remote agent on an ISA server using the file setupaa.cmd. It ran fine, and the remote agent service started properly. When attempting to select the drives for backing up on the remote server, the drives are greyed out and this message appears: "Selection of this item is disabled. You are not authorized to access this item, a license key for the BackupExec agent for Windows server is not installed on this machine, or...". I then attempted to run the remote installation from the media server in order to add the license key. This was not possible because I receive the message "The RPC Server is unavailable". The RPC service is running at the media and remote servers, however.

How can I get the license installed and allow the selection of the remote drives?
6 REPLIES 6

Steve_Mason
Level 2
Not sure if this applies to Servers, but XP Pro after SP2 has an RPC issue.
Adding this solves it:

"RestrictRemoteClients"=dword:00000000

Bijesh_P_V
Level 2
Hi,

I got the same problem in our ISA server after upgrading it from 2000 to 2004.How can i get the remote agent installed?Does the registry editing option worked?

Josh_Barth
Level 3
Check to make sure there is no firewall on.

Scot_Henry
Level 2
I added the registry entry as suggested, but this did not change anything. I still receive the RPC message.

Scot_Henry
Level 2
I found a workaround. I set the ISA server to allow all incoming traffic, and the media server was then able to install the remote agent. I'll have to determine which ports need to be open in order for the backup to run. I'll take suggestions. Thanks.

Bijesh_P_V
Level 2
Please check the site
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255831.htm