cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Installing BE Agent Not Working

harnsu_goh
Level 4

Dear All, 

I am running backup exec 2012 in a win2k8 64bit server. when I wanted to install a remote agent for one of my Win2K3 R2 32bit server, the add a server screen stops at "Installing the Symantec Backup Exec Agent for Windows" screen. 

I tried to run the BE agent installation locally at the win2k3 R2 server the installation is successful ..job can be created and credentials test all successfull .. but when I run the backup job ... the job was executed "successfully" without actually backing up any files... 

I am however can successfully configure anoher win2k3 server 32 bit and backup 500GB of data with a bliss ... so what went wrong ? how do i start to troubleshoot ? 

the problematic win2k3 R2 has firewall turned off .... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

when you make your backup selection instead of selectiont he share you need to select shadow copy component . Once that is backed up successfully , you can see the ther DFsd folder under user data

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

what are you backing up ?

Is it DFs shares ? Dfs shares need to be backed up via Shadow copy component .

Is the problem you trying to resolve  with remote installation failing  or backup running with successfully without any data in it 

harnsu_goh
Level 4

Dear RahulG, 

==============================

actually i tried to backup the server but job came out empty ... so i though maybe is the agent installation issue ... that is where i encountring remote agent installation problem as well.. 

=============================

The file is folders locally hosted in the wind2k3 R2 server and it is a dfs shares ..that is appear as shared folder in my domain controller as "\\dc1\TECHNICAL-EXCHANCE"

i have tried the vss options  (under Advanced Open File)

a)snapshots config - auto 

b)snapshots config - microsoft VSS (auto) 

.. both setting product job came out successful but empty. 

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

when you make your backup selection instead of selectiont he share you need to select shadow copy component . Once that is backed up successfully , you can see the ther DFsd folder under user data

harnsu_goh
Level 4

dear RahulG, 

thanks for reply ... but i can't find the vss component during the selection of the file/folders to be backup .. see the screen attached. 

what am i missing here? 

harnsu_goh
Level 4

so i went on to select my files from d drive .... and when i click run full backup ... 

this is the screen i see .. 

harnsu_goh
Level 4

haha i got it !! i double checked my server's volume d shadows copy setting .. it is marked disabled. 

so i turn it on and re-edit my backup jobs ... the shadown copy component appear just as per advised... i tested the run ... and now my job is backing up my data there...

thansk a million... much appreciated! 

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The Shadow Copy Components file system has been modified to contain only user-defined data, such as Backup Exec Deduplication Disk Storage (PDDE) and Distributed File System Replication (DFSR). All other operating system-related data is now incorporated into System State. As a result, existing Shadow Copy Components file system backups and backup sets are incompatible with Backup Exec 2012

abstract from following technote http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH179966

harnsu_goh
Level 4

eh ? really ? how come i can still perform backup using VSS ? is that mean that it is not stable somehow ? then how do i back up my folder ? 

since normal file system selection will come up empty .. and VSS is not working ... what else can i do ?