cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Recovery

aiyionman
Level 3

We have to installed 2 BE's in two different sites : Site A with BE 2010 R3 and Site B with BE 11D. Site A has a tape loader and an EQL server while in Site B has only a tape loader.

I have a job in site A where to create a backup of specific servers then dedup them in a media tape.

So I sent the tapes in our Site B and perform a catalog but encountered an error

"The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the catalog operation"

Is it because in Site B we don't have an EQL server?

If yes, will there be any work around for these?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No...that data would be recoverable to anything! If you check the data on the tape itself, you'd see your data as it would have been on disk originally before being backed up to disk!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You got to inventory all the tapes before you catalog them.

CraigV

...I'd say it could be possible incompatibility with BE 11d not reading the data on the tape written by BE 2010 R3.

IN this case, the first part to troubleshooting will be to advise you to upgrade Site B to BE 2010 R3 and patch it to the same level. Then try the operation again.

You can also go to Tools --> Options and under Catalogs if I remember correctly, deselect the option to use storage-based media catalogs. Then try running the catalog job again.

But upgrade Site B...that's where you should start.

Thanks!

aiyionman
Level 3

Thanks for the initial feedbacks.

I asked around here and they said it's not the version issue since they already used the it before.

The new thing in my activity is the resource, I used the dedup folder as my resource not like the earlier test where they backup directly to the tape...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If what i understood by reading your posts is correct, you are backing up dedup folder to tape as you are backing up normal data. You should not do like that. To copy deduplicated data to tapes, you must create a duplicate backup job that copies the backup sets from dedup folder to tape.

Edit: Note that when you duplicate dedup data to tape, it will be rehydrated i.e will be converted into it's original form.

aiyionman
Level 3

Sorry for any confusion guys. I will (try my best) illustrate our job:

Job - Create backup listed in Resources and save it in an EQL storage. After Backup, there is linked job where to Duplicate the job and save it to a Tape.

As I understoond it, our backup goes like this:

Backup BE > Server > EQL then Duplicate BE > EQL > Tape

For me to recover data from the tape, do I need to have an EQL in our remote branch since based on the infrastructure above.

Recovery Tape > EQL > Server

CraigV

Hi,

No...that data would be recoverable to anything! If you check the data on the tape itself, you'd see your data as it would have been on disk originally before being backed up to disk!

Thanks!