cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote agent errors

Exchange_Agent
Level 4
I get this error every night and stops backing up!

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.
Final error category: Server Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link
and
The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set cancelled

No the communication to the server has never been lost so why does the remote agent think that this has been lost!

Can anyone help?

Veritas 11d is a nightmare system and needs to be change so it works 100% of the time!
Bring back version 8.6

37 REPLIES 37

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi,

This could means that the Remote Agent stop running, looked in the EventViewer for errors.  Also, look for a dump file that could have been created recently or when the error occurred.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez
Advanced Technical Support Engineer

Exchange_Agent
Level 4
Hi SRodriguez

Thanks for your reply.
I have already checked the event log and looked for a log file or a dump file but not one exsists on either server.
I have checked for all processes which may be running at the time and cause this but cannot find anything.

Have you any other ideas?

Thanks

Exchange_Agent
Level 4
Anyone anyother ideas?

Justin_Bell
Level 4
Would someone please look at this issue?  I am having this same problem on a 11d sp1 media server that only has one remote agent connected.  Every night I get this error with one or more of the drives on the remote agent.  All the data is backed up, and I've verified I can restore it.  The error comes at the very end of the log for whichever drive it decides to fail.

I spoke with support a week ago and they deleted the BE database and rebuilt it.  This fixed the problem for about 3 days, now it's back again.

Please, could someone look into this issue?  The two support techs I spoke with were pretty clueless as to why this is happening.

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi,

If you keep getting the communication error, then we will need to test your network connectivity.  If none of the Backup Exec services are failing and we are still loosing connection, this is an indication of possible problems with network.  I will suggest you monitor your switches and verify that there are no packets lost in the communication between the media server and the remote servers.  Also, make sure that the NICs are up to the latest drivers and the Link Speed and Duplex is matching with the settings in the port on the switch.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez

Exchange_Agent
Level 4

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my network.
I have setup monitoring software checking for such an event but nothing.
For some reason Veritas 11d backup exec cannot handle running on Windows 2003 R2 over the network.

I have spoken to a few people who run the same setup and are all having the same problem.

If that’s the best support Veritas can provide well it's none existent. I have being waiting for a reply too long.
Is this Forum site moderated or is it up to some new employees to check the site occasionally!

Justin_Bell
Level 4
With a support tech I've trouble-shot the network and that IS NOT the issue.  Like I said, deleting the database fixed this temporarily fixed the issue.  The other thing to note is that the job backs up all the data.  In my case the job first backs up the remote server, then the local media server.  If it was a network issue the job would stop, but it doesn't, it backs up everything else.  When the error shows up in the log it shows up after the last folder on the drive.  Some days the error only shows after one drive on other days it shows up after all 4 of the remote server's drives.  The support tech also checked the debug logs for both the remote server and the media server and did not find anything out of the ordinary.

My case number was/is

Please, please, please work on this, my client is getting very upset.  I can not keep recommending this product to my clients with these types of issues.

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Justin:

I'm reviewing your previous case.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez

Exchange_Agent
Level 4
Does this mean you are reviewing your software so it can correct both of our issues or are you just going to check Justin's

Justin_Bell
Level 4
Sandra,

My new case number is 290-829-710. 

If you don't mind me asking, what is going on with support these days?  I was in the phone queue for 4 and a half hours Friday, then I had to leave work so I did the queued call back option and never received a call.  Finally I had to call in and ask the operator if there was a special queue I could get in and she had to talk to her supervisor, that took 45 minutes!?!?!

Thanks,
Justin

Justin_Bell
Level 4
Agent,

She's probably reviewing the case to get the error logs and see what kind of trouble-shooting I did with that tech.

-Justin

Exchange_Agent
Level 4
Lets hope she is reviewing this case and can resolve this problem quickly.

Exchange_Agent
Level 4
Has anyone managed to correct this issue with Backup Exec 11d?

Exchange_Agent
Level 4
Can anyone from Symantec help?

Justin_Bell
Level 4
This is absolutely rediculous.  My problem has turned into an intermittant one.  So I talked with 

Parimal Waghmare

Product Support Analyst

Backup Exec for Windows Servers

Symantec Corporation

VCP,MCP,CSP

Email: parimal_waghmare@symantec.com

after waiting on hold for 5 1/2 hours.  He tinkered around and enabled some logging and told me to see how it went.  The next couple of days it was fine.  Now it's broken again (same problem) and he won't return any of my e-mails!!!  The absolutely horrible support is getting really bad especially since we've paid for it.  Maybe you should try e-mailing him as well.

-I just wish I had someone I could talk to about the bad support.

Exchange_Agent
Level 4
Does anyone know if there is an award for the worst Support Forum as I think this site will win!
Does anyone recommend any other backup software for Windows 2003 as Symantec's just dosen't work. I wish I had never purchased a copy.

I have been in IT support for over 10 years and never spent so long trying to resolve these problems.

Anyone who is considering purchasing version 11d forget it as it this must be the worst backup software on the market.

Exchange_Agent
Level 4
Justin

Have you tried this?

Justin_Bell
Level 4
Forget the worst forum, how about the worst support in general.  I've never been thrown aside by a support group like I have with Symantec.  We have 8 media servers and 13 remote agents, plus I've installed 6 media servers for different clients.  I know it's more expensive, but when our support contract is up I'm switching to EMC.  The kicker is that Symantec could care less if they loose customers, there is just so many...

- Yeah, I've already tried that article.  The problem is that the remote agent is not failing - that being said, I unselected that folder and still had the problem.

Exchange_Agent
Level 4
I'm still waiting for an answer from Symantec..
Has anyone managed to investigate as promised?