cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote agent for windows installation - what am I missing!

jon-
Level 2
Sorry if this has been asked before, I've had a good search and not found anything.  Also, I'm sorry for the stupid question, as I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

I recently trailed Backup exec 12.5 to backup:

- server1 system state and files
- server2 system state and files
- server3 system state, files and SQL

So, in my infinate wisdom (under advice from a reseller) I ordered 1 x backup exec server, 2 x remote agents and 1 x sql agent. All makes sense so far?

Now, server1 has the backup exec server and that's licenced and running just fine, backing up the system state and files.

I've been trying to remote push install an agent licence to server2, but every time I get to the licence key section, and put in the licence key for the remote agent it errors with the following

"A licence key for the backup exec product must be entered to add options" WHY?! Surely it knows the key, as it's installed on the local server I'm pushing from?!

So anyway, to keep it happy I re-enter my backup exec server key, then on the next stage it looks like it wants me to install tape drivers and so forth, which i shouldn't need to as I'm backing up to a tape on the master server.

In short, WTF?!?! I don't want to reinstall the master server on server2, that's why I purchased a remote agent licence?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
On Server1 add the remote agent license through tools\Install Options and license on this media server.  Once you have these added go to Tools\Install Agents and Media Servers on other servers.  Click next and then on the next screen Highlight "Windows Remote Agents" and then click add.  This will push the agents to the remote servers.  The top option on this screen "Backup Exec Servers" will install the Media Server software on another server. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
On Server1 add the remote agent license through tools\Install Options and license on this media server.  Once you have these added go to Tools\Install Agents and Media Servers on other servers.  Click next and then on the next screen Highlight "Windows Remote Agents" and then click add.  This will push the agents to the remote servers.  The top option on this screen "Backup Exec Servers" will install the Media Server software on another server. 

jon-
Level 2
Well bu**er me, that was simple.

This is how i tried to do it originally, but I always just clicked "add" without selecting the Windows remote agents. I guess it was trying to default to a different group.

Thank you kind Sir :)

jon-
Level 2
Ok, now onto the SQL server.

I do the same as the above, it gives me the option to do a remote agent install (afterall, I have the licence) but it doesn't offer me the SQL option, even though the key is installed and SQL 2000 is installed and running on the remote server :(

Any ideas...

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi jon

You have to install only remote agent on remote sql server. Licenses will be installed on backup server only. To install remote agent follow the best practice which is mentioned below
  1. Copy RAWS32 folder to the remote server. This flder is available in Agents folder in Backup Exec installation on backup server
  2. Loging to remote server with domain admin user account
  3. Open command line console on remote server
  4. Access to the folder which you have coppied
  5. Run the command setupaa and press enter
  6. Once cursor will back to command line open windows services and check that Backup Exec Remote Agent service is installed and started
  7. Once it is started you can configure the backup job from the server.

MOZO
Level 3
Partner
1) On Server1 add the remote agent license through tools\Install Options and license on this media server.
2) Go to Tools\Install Agents and Media Servers on other servers.

It will auto search the component install on the server and it will install the agent as per the application install on the server ( SQL)

3) If this is not work tray to install manually on the application server using the installation cd.

jon-
Level 2
Oh I see. You just need to install the remote agent, then the central server will let you backup the database as you're licenced to.

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hhi Jon,

I hope it is resolved your query. In case of any doubts please update

Please check it from your end and mark this as a solution in the post

RuddvD
Level 3
We have been running BEEXEC for quite some time and needed to re-install on the server to sort out a whole lot of issues with System Recovery and getting the two brothers to play nicely together!!! System Recovery needed to be re-installed twice to get them to let each other work together!  We are running a exchange server and a file and print server.

Anyway the problems was sorted a while ago and I now have an issue with the Agent for Windows Systems.  It now says that it needs a licence key for the agent as it is about to expire!  This was not a problem with the other installations previously and the agent worked fine.

A single copy of the Agent is supposed to be distributed free with the SBS Premium edition that we have.  How on earth do I get a licence key as the licencing site says that no licence is required and I have entered the licence key I have!

What must I now do to get this sorted out?

Regards,

Rudd