cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote agent termination and CRC data error

Robert_Dana
Level 3
I've got a win2k SBS that is running BE 9.1 to back up itself to an external Exabyte tape VXA-2 auto-changer. Every night, there's a system log error:

Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7031

The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Some nights, the job completes successfully despite this error. On these "successful" nights the error occurs immediately after the system state has been backed up (this is that last backup resource for our setup) but before verification. Verification completes successfully.

Other nights (about half the time), the job terminates with a generic Error 17 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Those nights, the termination happens most often during the Backup Exec SQL server backup, but sometimes during the system state backup.

I have reviewed the document describing how to troubleshoot the CRC error, and have checked everything suggested. At this point I am convinced it is not a SCSI problem. For one thing, as long as I put the system state, utility partition and Database backups at the end of the resource order, the server's disks (34GB of data) backup without an issue every single time. I don't get any errors when testing the tape drive with manufacturer's diagnostics, and I believe all of the drivers and device bios versions are current.

I have searched the knowedgebase, googled, and spent way more time on this issue than I could have possible expected. At this point I am near chucking BE and going to NTBackup, onerous as that would be in many respects. At least for the near future, upgrading BE is not an option financially.

Anyone have any ideas?

-R
4 REPLIES 4

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Do you receive any event ids in the event logs?

- Please ensure that duplex mode for NIC is same on Backup Exec server and remote server.

- Also ensure that Remote Agent service is running as "local system account" on remote server.

- Then try running the small backup and verify the result.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Robert_Dana
Level 3
> Hello,
>
> - Do you receive any event ids in the event logs?

Yes- if you read my original post, I quoted the specific event log error I receive every night.

> - Please ensure that duplex mode for NIC is same on
> Backup Exec server and remote server.

Again, as I explained in my post, the server is backing itself up- not a remote server.

> - Also ensure that Remote Agent service is running as
> "local system account" on remote server.

It is running locally as the local system account.

> - Then try running the small backup and verify the
> result.

Heck, I can run a large backup and verify the result- all 34gigs of drives C and D run without error every night. If I remove System State and the BE MSSQL instance, the backup runs flawlessly.

-R

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Robert,

Thank you for the Update!

If you say this problem occures only with System state backups, Does NTbackup backup the system state without any problems?

You can go through the following Article:
Ntbackup quits while backing up the system state on a domain controller

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q311141&ID=KB;EN-US;Q311141

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CRC Error is normally, as mentioned in the articles which you have seen, is a HArdware Problem. You can go through the following Articles as well. (Not sure which ones you have checked already):

"Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" (00000017 HEX) is reported in the Backup Exec job log during a failed backup/verify operation http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192216.htm

"Data error (cyclic redundancy check)", (00000017 HEX) error occurs in a Backup Exec job.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266180.htm

How to resolve SCSI bus timeouts
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191158.htm

If you see any 7,9,11, or 15 Errors on your Device in the system event logs, it confirms that this is a Hardware Problem. You can go through the following Article:

How to troubleshoot error messages about Event ID 9 and Event ID 11
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314093

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps you.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Robert_Dana
Level 3
I had already searched the KB before posting, and if you read my original message carefully, I had eliminated hardware issues as a cause. There are no device errors in the event logs. System state backs up just fine with NTBackup.

However, I did recently apply the SP4a upgrade, and it appears to have fixed it- the last 10 backups have run without error. So I have marked this as "answered".

-Robert