cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote agents and new Backup exec 10 server

RobinBerg
Level 3
 Hi, We needed to change to a new server for the application, is there a way to redirect the backup agents out there to the new server?

I would not be happy to have to reinstall the agents that are currently out there.

Thanks in advance for the help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

L_Ivan
Level 3
 OK, I got it now!
Provided your new Backup Exec installation is the same version as your previous installation, it should be able to communicate with the remote agents.
The remote agents may have been set up with advertising previously, where they announce themselves to the BE server. Even if this were the case, I believe it should still work OK.
However, if you wish to change the advertising settings, you can do this without reinstalling.
On the server where the agent is installed, run vxmon from the  C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\RANT folder.
Right click the icon in the taskbar, and select Options.
Change the settings as required, then restart the Remote Agent service.
Hope this helps

Ivan

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

So you are planning to change the Backup Exec Server?

If so: will it be using the same name or a different one?

tcanthonyii
Level 3
 You'll need to update the agents anyway.  You'll want them at the same patched version of 10 otherwise you could run into backup/restore errors.

tcanthonyii
Level 3

L_Ivan
Level 3
 The new server, do you mean a new Backup Exec server?
If so, then you don't need to redeploy the agents (assuming the new server has the same version as the old). Backup Exec agents are connected to by the media server when they are needed by a backup job. An agent isn't tied to a specific Backup Exec installation.

Ivan

tcanthonyii
Level 3
 If the agents are the same code level you can run the backup exec remote agent utility (start -- all programs -- symantec backup exec for windows servers -- ) and at a minimum publish the agent to the media server.  Otherwise L Ivan is correct.

T.C.

RobinBerg
Level 3
  For this network there is only one server, handling all the functions.  So there is a new media server as well.

Robin

L_Ivan
Level 3
 I'm slightly confused!
Do you mean you only one server, and you're talking about Desktop and Laptop option agents? If so, I think you'll need to reinstall them.
If you are talking about Remote Agents for Windows Servers, then you must have more than one server!

RobinBerg
Level 3
 Sorry for the confusion:

I have small network: 37 servers running serving various funcions.  We lost the orginial Backup Exec server, it was reclaimed by another group.  I installed Backup Exec on a new server and am having issues with the agents currently installed on the servers.  From the job selection tab in Backup Exec, I am not able to see any other machines.  I have entered all of the keys for the additional machines.

So the question is:  

Do I need to reinstall the agents on the other 36 servers or is there a way to redirect them to the new server?

Thanks for your help.

L_Ivan
Level 3
 OK, I got it now!
Provided your new Backup Exec installation is the same version as your previous installation, it should be able to communicate with the remote agents.
The remote agents may have been set up with advertising previously, where they announce themselves to the BE server. Even if this were the case, I believe it should still work OK.
However, if you wish to change the advertising settings, you can do this without reinstalling.
On the server where the agent is installed, run vxmon from the  C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\RANT folder.
Right click the icon in the taskbar, and select Options.
Change the settings as required, then restart the Remote Agent service.
Hope this helps

Ivan