Did you mean: 

Remote backup on Gb setup slow

OxYi
Level 3
Hi ,

I have two computer both on Win2k3 R2, both with built-in Gb network card
PowerEdge -> Broadcom NetExtremeII
HostServer -> Asus P5e WS Profession board - Marvell 88e8056 Dual Gb Lan

I've connected them via Cisco 3750 Gb Switch, or via crossover cat5e.
I have remote agent installed on the PowerEdge server, while the Backup Exec 12 on the HostServer with tape library attached to it.

The job rate currently is going range from 1800.00MB/min to 2000.00/MB/min.
Using iperf for testing, I got Bandwidth of 322 Mbits/sec.
Using FTP trasnfer,  I finished 1GB of file in 12 sec, going 80-100MB/sec.
SO I know my network is optimized, but something inside Backup EXEC 12 is capping my connection speed, but
I just can't find out, I am about to uninstall 12 and go back to 11...

Cany someone shine some light on my situation ?  thanks !
9 REPLIES 9

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What kind of throughput do you get if you backup local data (on the media server) only?

What kind of tape drive is it?   (LTO-4 is rated at 120MB/sec)

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 04-10-2008 01:09 PM

OxYi
Level 3
Did  a local backup from my D drive, and speed is around 1800-2000MB/min as well
Tape lib is from Exabyte, using IBM LTO3 drive.

The reason I asked is because before while I was on 11d, I was getting a 7000MB/Min via crossover, and now 2000MB/min seem to be my limite now.

Thanks

Message Edited by OxYi on 04-10-2008 01:13 PM

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just for grins, shut down all BackupExec Services and see what kind of throughput you get with NTBackup

About all that you can change within BackupExec are an the Device Properties page

Devices\Right click  the drive\Properties

What are the settings for block size, buffersize and number of buffers

Also what are the settings for read/write through and both single block?

OxYi
Level 3
Thanks for the reply.

Block size : 64 KB
Buffer size: 64 KB
Buffer count: 10
High water count : 0

Write single block mode : checked
Write SCI pass-through mode: checked.

Enable compession : checked.

Going to do a throughput in a bit.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The block size looks good  I'd probably set the buffer size to 128 or 256
buffer count looks OK

For  drive in a libaray, both passthru settings should be enabled.  Won't affect throughput, but will affect error handleing/reporting better

I'd deselect both Single Block Settings (Sometimes seems to make a difference, sometimes not)

Went back and read the rest of the thread -  An LTO-3 is rated at 80MB/sec uncompressed - 4800MB/min so you are on the slow side

OxYi
Level 3
Great, I will go ahead and change those setting. Thanks.

Did a NTbackup via the mounted drive to local HD, it dind't say how fast, but
7GB in 10mins 37sec.

I setup a FileZilla FTP server just to see the download speed, and I was getting 10GB file in 2 min.

So that leads me to think something is slowing me down, and I think maybe is exec 12, what you think ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

7GB in 10mins 37sec.   is   666.6 MB/min 

Definitely sounds like a problem is not in BackupExec then, rather the tape system or connections

Is the tape drive/library on it's own controller?  Are the controller firmware and drivers up-to-date?  Is the firmware on the library and drive up-to-date?  Are there any entries in the Event Log that may apply?  Have you tried swapping  out cables and terminators?  Have you tried manufacaturer drivers rather than Symantec?

OxYi
Level 3
Yea that was kinda weird, and sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I was using NTbackup and backing it up to the desktop and not to the tape.

Yes, tape drive is on it's own controller.
IBM driver is up-to-date as well.
Event log didn't anything that's releated to the problem.
I am using adaptec driver , the newest one per their tech support.

But what I don't understand is where there is a different between NTbackup vs FTP transnfer, both utilize TCP for trasnfering file, it should have the same speed as well..

I am running out of ideas, is there a program to test the tape write speed ? or should I just try to revert back to backup 11d.

Thanks !

OxYi
Level 3
New update !

I found out why my tape been writing slow. It's the driver that Symantec installed with it.
Appererantly, Symantec use its driver for my IBM LTO3 drive, and while using that driver
I did a benchmark write, it took 2.5 mins to write 4800mb, and after I removed the driver
it only took 1 min to complete the task using this DOS benchmark program from Exabyte.

I've used the IBM driver from IBM site, but the speed remain the same, the only thing seem to help
is by removing it, but everytime when I reboot, it will keep on looking for it, and you can't disable it,
because if you disable it, Symantech BackupExec won't work..

anyone know any way around this ?

thanks !