cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remotely backup up an Windows Small Business Server 2003

normanrieger
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

my following question might be pretty noob-like, but unfortunately I could not find any information on this topic.

In fact I would like to install Backup Exec 12.5 for Small Business Server on a Windows 2003 Server in order to Backup tthe SBS machine. Unfortunately there´s no possibility to physically add a tape-device to the SBS-Server itself due to certain circumstances, which cannot be altered (I just have to find a solution).

Thus I tried downloading the Backup Exec 12.5 for SBS trial in order to find out, whether it´s possible or not.

By starting the trial-setup, however, I noticed that the SBS trial is a "Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers" Edition, which is no real option in my case.

Does anyone know whether it´s possible to install the SBS-Edition onto a Standard-Server?

The Standard-Server has a built-in Tape Device, which is compatible with Backup Exec. By using the standard Backup Exec Edition several agents would be necessary and guess the SBS-Edition is far less expensive.
The other way around is to install Backup Exec SBS onto the SBS-Server and remotely use the Tape Device. Due to the lack of the SBS-trial I cannot verify this though.

Any solution?

Best regards,

Norman
3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Norman,

Download and install the trialware of Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers here...

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=51792

Once done, you can install the agent on the SBS 2003 server and back it up.

Laters!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
By starting the trial-setup, however, I noticed that the SBS trial is a "Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers" Edition, which is no real option in my case.

The only difference between standard and SBS is that SBS includes licenses for SQL and Exchange.  The code itself is the same

Does anyone know whether it´s possible to install the SBS-Edition onto a Standard-Server?

No.  SBS version  of BackupExec can only be installed on an SBS OS

The Standard-Server has a built-in Tape Device, which is compatible with Backup Exec. By using the standard Backup Exec Edition several agents would be necessary and guess the SBS-Edition is far less expensive.

By the time you get a standard media server and the DB agents, SBS would definitely be cheaper  I'm not sure how much cheaper, since I haven't priced it out recently

The other way around is to install Backup Exec SBS onto the SBS-Server and remotely use the Tape Device.

Unfortunaletly, tape devices need to be locally attached to the media server, so this isn't an option

You could perhaps add a removeable disk enclosure to the SBS server and backup to disk, unless the same problems with adding a tape drive also apply to external disks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Any news here?