cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable hard drives storage space -overwriting files

Steve_Feder
Level 3
I am using an evaluation version of the product with a removable hard drive. I am backing up both files and the exchange with the option to restore individual e-mail folders. The backup job is set to overwrite not to append. I have several questions since I have not used this product.

Is it normal for the backup file to be a Windows . bkf file?

Secondly-there are various image files created each night, which seem to relate to the exchange components. The core data file is overwritten each night, but new image files are also created and are eating up the available disk space.
I would like to know what settings need to be changed so that all the files or overwritten each night?

If I set, a batch file to format the drive beforehand that would delete the veritas backup folder as well. So I don't know if the backup job would work under those conditions.
Thank you very much.
2 REPLIES 2

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Steve

It is normal to see bkf files the Windows Backup Utility was developed by Veritas and the format is the same.

The IMG folders belong to Exchange backups as you said. But these do not overwrite as the bkf files, the product doesn't work smoothly with them as I stated inthis forum several times. Symantec says that when the disk becomes full, these folders are recycled.

I don't recommend to format the disk before the backup: the cfg files would be deleted and Backu Exec wouldn't recognize it as a Backup-to-disk folder.

Regards

Steve_Feder
Level 3
First thank you for your post. I have recently been hospitalized and was not up to doing a search.

When the disk becomes full the job is queued and waits for new media. It is not recycling the image folders.
Is there something that needs be done for this recycling to occur?
I assume also that rotating the hard drives would have no impact on the situation since the drive letter remains the same.
Thank you in advance.