cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Specific Folders From Backup Sets?

jmorganthall
Not applicable
Partner

Hello all,

I'm working with a client who has a specific need for 2 years worth of retention for *almost* all of their backup sets.

~7 months ago, we configured a job to capture their critical data with a 2 year retention period. For the last 7 months, everything has run as expected without issue until the 6TB external drive in question ran out of space.

After reviewing the backups, we've determined that there are two specific folders that are generating a significant amount of new data daily. As luck would have it, those two specific folders do NOT need to be included in their 2 year retention.

I've removed those folders from the existing job and spun them off into a new job with a 14 day retention.

Of course, now my problem is that the there are TBs of old backups of these folders that we don't need and are consuming a huge amount of disk space, putting us critically low.

Is there a way to manually or programmatically remove all instances of that specific folder from old backup sets within a certain job?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No way to do this when it has been committed to backup media. You can't access the media and then remove what you want to. Only way around this is to restore the data to disk, delete what you don't want, and then backup that data again.

Thanks!

TshepoMohulatsi
Not applicable

Craig is Correct there is no other way i can think of too except Restore and Backup again.