cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing server deletes the job where deleted server no longer is a member but has earlier been

dss_thinktank
Level 4

Is this a bug or what in BE 2014?

• Removing a server on screen "backup and restore" deletes also multiserver backup jobs which earlier have had this removed server as one of the members in the server list of the job. That job does not anymore have this removed server as a member, because it was removed from the list of servers in job definitions prior to remove action of server on screen "backup and restore".

Procedure:

1. Create multi-server job "J" with 2 servers A and B.

2. On screen "Backup and Restore", when trying to remove the server, BE2014 gives a message telling that removing of server B is not possible because it is included in definition of job "J". This is ok and good so far, so no problems.

3. After prev message, multiserver job "J" was edited so that server B is removed from list of target servers. There is still other server A left in job "J" definitions. Job is not deleted, because it contains plenty of other settings + server "A" which still needs to be backed up.

4. Back on screen "Backup and Restore" again where server B can now be removed succesfully. It does no give any warnings about existing job anymore. .... BUT!!!  BE2014 also deletes the job "J" for some strange reason.

=> Result of this is that job denition is lost and remaining server "A" will not be backed up anymore.

I lost task definitons two times in this way.

10 REPLIES 10

lmosla
Level 6

I haven't heard of this before but do you have all the recent hotfixes and patches installed?

dss_thinktank
Level 4

Yes, I have hotfix 2185257  installed and liveupdate does not suggest any new ones currently.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I have just tried to repoduce this following the OPs posts and I cannot, my job still exists after the removal of one remote server that used to be in the job.

My server is also patched with Hotfix 218257

As such if you can still reproduce this after you have installed the latests update then please log a formal support case for us to investigate further.

Colin_Weaver

Small update whilst you should probably still log a formal case, a colleague did reproduce it and when we compared differences it is either because we removed an SDR enabled server from the original job or because we removed the first server in the original job list. At this current time it is slightly difficult to narrow it down further (at least in my case) as the adjustments I would have to make in my test setup would break other ongoing tests.

dss_thinktank
Level 4

My mistake, above id 2185257 had a typo... the correct one I have is the same "Hotfix 218257". This has been installed in BE2014 immediatedly after upgrade to BE2014.

I have had support case "07073218" with this but Symantec engineer refuced to understand my point completetely ... I do not know if it was because of a language barrier or what. 

My installation is upgrade from BE 2010R3 to BE 2014 (there had been earlier versions of BE2010 in use too). The backup job which was deleted was freshly created in BE2014, it was not imported from BE2010R3. However, the server name which I wanted to remove was an import from BE2010R3 to BE2014 (name of removed server was plain name of the server like "<server_name>", it was not fully qualified domain name like "<server_name>.<domain>.local").

dss_thinktank
Level 4

I have not configured or used SDR (=simple disaster recovery) in my system of BE2014 so far... I have exluded paging files from backup so it seems that DSR is off for servers. 

In one backup job which was removed, I had 3 windows servers as targets but I am not sure about exact order of the servers anymore. If I remember right, the server I removed had been as a 2. server resource in job definition of 3 servers. Name of removed server was above mentioned case without domain name part (.<domain>.local).

The second case had one windows server and one fujitsu nas device (without BE agent), and I was removing the nas device which was listed as second (=last resource) of backup task. Server names used in this job where all fully qualified domain names.

Should I re-open my closed support case related to this issue? .... or if you also could reproduce this, will you take care of processing this further in your organisation?

Colin_Weaver

Thanks for the case number you provided in your earlier update. Please bear with me about future handling as am currently checking best way to proceed

VJware
Level 6

I'll have the case reopened and you should have a support engineer getting in touch with you soon.

dss_thinktank
Level 4

Comment from Symantec 13.8.2014:

• Job definition is removed in case removed server has initially been  the first one of the servers on the list when job was created. This will be fixed at some point in the future.

dss_thinktank
Level 4

Based on release notes, this has been fixed in BE2014 SP2.