cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename Backup Exec 2014 Media Server

JarrodC
Level 3

Does anyone know if there's a documented process for renaming a BE 2014 media server?  My understanding is that it now "just works" but would like some sort of reference to that.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

A BE service restart (which happens anyway when you rename a server as you have to reboot) chages everything that needs changing

If in a CASO setup though you have to make the MBE stand alone (if renaming an MBE) or all servers stand alone (if renaming a CAS)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you checked the Admin Guide around this Jarod? This should give you that information.
Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

A BE service restart (which happens anyway when you rename a server as you have to reboot) chages everything that needs changing

If in a CASO setup though you have to make the MBE stand alone (if renaming an MBE) or all servers stand alone (if renaming a CAS)

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

I'm looking into any concerns around server rename and catalogs of GRT sets. 

If there are any concerns to note, I will update the thread.

JarrodC
Level 3

The reboot following the rename was done almost exactly 4 hours ago.

Dedupe so far is offline but it continues to be very busy processing, lots of disk I/O...BE is asking me to restart the services, which I suspect is required to get dedupe back online.  However I don't want to put any further load on the dedupe storage, so I'm going to wait for it to finish processing, then restart services and see how things are.

The other BE services are all online and the GUI is not presenting any sort of problems to me.  I could reboot to get access to the dedupe store but I think it needs to finish what its doing first.  It will likely be tomorrow when I post the outcome...the dentist awaits me!

JarrodC
Level 3

The outcome is good.  I just verified that the GRT data is available for selection in a restore from a few days back and it is.

I'm not clear exactly what dedupe was busy doing, but I let it process for about 12 hours, and noted that my available storage went from 30 - 34%...so part of the work was cleanup.

After restarting the device and media service last night, the jobs all fired up and everything has been running fine.