cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace BTU device - Compatibility with Backup Exec 2012

alexandros_mati
Level 3

Hi all,

We want to change our BTU device  and i need to know if our new device is compatible with Backup Exec 2012.

Now we have a Dell LTO-2 device and we want to replace it with a Dell LTO-6 (PV110T). It will be compatible?

I have read the Backup Exec 2012 Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) but i don't understand if we will be OK.

Backup Exec version: Version 14.0, Rev 1798 (64-bit).

Than kyou

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In this HCL, Dell PowerVault LTO-6 shows as supported with the latest symantec device driver.

If possible to obtain a test unit from Dell, you could confirm an additional step, i.e. the inquiry string matches that of the HCL or not.

alexandros_mati
Level 3

Hi,

Unfortunately i can not have a unit from Dell in our office for testing.

As i see also, Dell LTO-6 is compatible. 

Have someone test Backup Exec 2012 with Dell LTO-6?

Thank you

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Have someone test Backup Exec 2012 with Dell LTO-6?

I am sure it was tested when it was added to the HCL.  As long as your device is on the HCL, you are fully supported. and should be good to go.

Dell has changed thier marketing names and they do not call their LTO6 drive part of the PV110T family, (which was used for LTo1 to LTO3).

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/powervault-lto6/research

That tape drive is on the BE 2012 HCL.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

PS: remember that any data stored on an LTO2 device won't be read or written too. LTO reads 2 versions back (LTO6 will read LTO6, LTO5 and LTO4) and write 1 version back (LTO6 will write to LTO6 and LTO5).

End result is that you either keep the LTO2 device handy for any restores, or duplicate the data on the LTO2 tapes to the LTO6 tapes and then decommision the tapes and library.

Thanks!