cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replaced Tape Drive not listed as Shared Storage

dr_noble
Level 3

Backup Exec 2012 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

We had one of two tape drives in our tape library fail. The failed drive was replaced.  Backup Exec sees the new Drive 1 and is able to use it.

The problem is that the new drive is not listed as shared storage.  For example, on the Storage tab, the new Drive 1 does not have the "hand" icon indicating that the drive is shared. The old Drive 2 has this icon.  Furthermore, when editing backup jobs and choosing storage, Drive 2 and all the Libraries are listed under Shared Storage, but the new Drive 1 is listed separately under a category of the local servername.

How do I get this replacement tape drive to be listed as Shared Storage like the other Drive and Libraries?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dr_noble
Level 3

I eventually figured out that the "Managed Backup Exec Server" option must be installed to share Tape Drives and Libraries.  That option is not installed on this server.  Thus, the new Tape Drive cannot be shared.

This Backup Exec instance was upgraded from version 2010 to 2012.  I have concluded that in the prior version (2010), the ability to share was either native, or that option was installed, and thus the Drives and Libraries inherited the sharing when upgraded to 2012.

There's nothing functionally broken, it's just a GUI headache to have the original drive and Libraries listed under "Shared Storage" and then have the new drive in its own category under local server storage.  But, it's not worth deleting/recreating the drives and libraries just to have them all listed under local storage.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Run the device configuration wizard from within BE itself...you may need to add this drive to the rest of the library hardware for this to be recognised properly again.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1) Go to the Storage tab and delete the library and tape drives from BE 2) Stop the media server and the library 3) Start the tape library 4) Start the media server 5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver. 6) Try again.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried to right-click the storage device and choose "Share" ?

dr_noble
Level 3

CraigV ... I have run the Configure Storage utility ... Tape Storage.  The drive is recognized and works just fine.  It's just not shared.  I can't figure out how to mark it shared like the other drive Tape Drive in the library. Are you suggesting running something other than the Configure Storage utility?

pkh ... Are you suggesting deleting all drives and Libraries?  I'm not sure I want to do that if you're just guessing.  I have eight Libraries configured under the Library, with numerous jobs configured for those Libraries. I should not have to delete and rebuild them all.

VJWare ... I knew I was in trouble when I opened a ticket with Symantec for this issue and their first response was also to right-click and choose Share.  There is no Share option when I right-click the Tape Drive. Just for giggles, I have right-clicked everything and I never see a Share option.

I'm still looking for help on how to mark this replacement tape drive as shared storage (like its predecessor and the other tape drive in the library).

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

can you post your adamm.log file?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am not suggesting you delete all your libraries, only the one that is giving you problems.  Normally when you replace a tape drive in the library.  You should delete the entire library and then let BE sense the new configuration.

dr_noble
Level 3

I eventually figured out that the "Managed Backup Exec Server" option must be installed to share Tape Drives and Libraries.  That option is not installed on this server.  Thus, the new Tape Drive cannot be shared.

This Backup Exec instance was upgraded from version 2010 to 2012.  I have concluded that in the prior version (2010), the ability to share was either native, or that option was installed, and thus the Drives and Libraries inherited the sharing when upgraded to 2012.

There's nothing functionally broken, it's just a GUI headache to have the original drive and Libraries listed under "Shared Storage" and then have the new drive in its own category under local server storage.  But, it's not worth deleting/recreating the drives and libraries just to have them all listed under local storage.