cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement for CPS?

GaryS
Level 2

Hi - I've just discovered, through the forum, that CPS is to be retired in Feb/Mar next year and no longer supported!!  This is a little disappointing and annoying, having used it quite successfully for the past few years and having only renewed our licence in May!  Does anyone know if there is to be a replacment?

Many thanks

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GaryS
Level 2

I think it's still a shame that CPS is going, as it works well for us, but maybe not for everyone.  I have also signed up for the Beta testing of Backup Exec 2012, so will see what that has to offer.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Gary,

Backup Exec 2012 is currently in Beta so you might want to head on over to the link below and see if you can join.

This will allow you to check out if CPS is being replaced by something else, and maybe interact with the dev team too...

https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/default.html?callid={DEB1465E-A064-447F-A65D-0D61493257C4}

Thanks!

UKRonaldo
Level 3

I've joined beta for Backup Exec 2012.

I recently asked if CPS was being dropped and product manager for Backup Exec confirmed it will not be part of 2012 product. I then asked if it was being replaced with new product or feature but so far I've had no response.

CPS was very good way to backup remote file servers over slow VPN link. I've not been able to find good alternative to CPS. The way CPS could keep snapshots/versions of files was very useful and feature I can't find with other tools.

teiva-boy
Level 6

CPS wasn't designed for remote office backups.  Though some could argue that client-side dedupe could do it..  Not in BackupExec though since there is no checkpoint restart.

I had heard they may OEM something, but as it is, CPS is going to die.  Something that should have happened a long time ago.  Like DLO.

UKRonaldo
Level 3

Agree with you 100% but I hope Symantec does something to address problems of remote office backups when using Backup Exec.

GaryS
Level 2

I think it's still a shame that CPS is going, as it works well for us, but maybe not for everyone.  I have also signed up for the Beta testing of Backup Exec 2012, so will see what that has to offer.