cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Media Server

ritchiescholten
Level 3

Hi i am replacing my BE 2010 R3 media server, it is currently on a machine that needs retiring. So i have built a Server 2008 R2 Std box to install onto, what i want to know is this:

As i have the set up at the minute all the agents are communicating with the current backup server, i assume this means i cannot simply install BE on the new server, set up the jobs and away i go. So whats the best way to replace the media server.

• Do i use the Push install method of installing the backup exec software onto the new server from the current server, the remove the old one.
  • or do i install the new server with BE and then push the agents to the servers again from the new server and just remove the old one.
5 REPLIES 5

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi 1 Please install backup exec of same version on new server with same patch level li,e Be2010 r3 and whatever updates you had on old server 2 please use the link below to copy your configuration http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49757 3 For your licenses please copy besernum.XML on you decomision the old server and import it on new server 4 once done please reconfigure the publishing on remote server to enter the new server name Hope that helps Thanks

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

You can do this :

1. Make not of the current Backup Exec version along with the Service Packs and Hotfixes which are currently installed.

2. On you current media server, Stop all Backup Exec services and copy the Data and Catalogs folder (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\) along with the BESERNUM.XML (for licenses) to a safe location 

3. Decommission the old media server.

4. Bring up the new media server with the same server name.

5. Install the same version of Backup Exec with the same service pack and hotfix level as the older one.

6. Stop all Backup Exec services and replace the Data, Catalogs and BESERNUM.XML file on the new media server.

7. Check to see if your jobs, Catalogs, etc are present by starting the services and opening the BE Console.

This way you wont need to reinstall the remote agents on your remove machines since the Backup Exec version and media server name is the same as old one.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello,

1. Install Backup Exec on the new server (Run Live Update to install the latest service pack or hotfixes)

2. On the original (old) media server launch the servicesmgr.exe and 'stop all' the Backup Exec services (default: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec)
a. Stop the 'SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)' Service from the Windows services console.

3. On the original media server, navigate to the installation directory of Backup Exec (default: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec) and Copy the Data and Catalog folder to a temporary location.

4. On the new media server launch the servicesmgr.exe and 'stop all' the Backup Exec services (default: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\)
a. Stop the 'SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)' Service from the Windows services console.

5. On the New Server go to the BE installation directory (default: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec) and rename the Data & Catalog folder with a .old extension.

6. Copy the Data and Catalog folder from the temporary location in step 3 to the BE installation directory of the new media server (default: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec)

7. On the new media server start the 'SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)' Service from the Windows services console

8. Open a command prompt as administrator on the new Backup Server and enter the following;
osql -E -S <new-server-name>\BKUPEXEC (enter)
1>use bedb (enter)
2>go (enter)
1>SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition (enter)
2>go (enter)
*At this point, the old server-name should be listed
1>UPDATE DataPartition SET PartitionName=<'new-server-name'> WHERE PartitionID =0 (enter)
2>Go (enter)
* # of rows affected should be listed

To verify the change took place; run the original commands:
1>SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition (enter)
2>Go (enter)
*At this point the new server-name should be listed

Type quit to exit OSQL

9. Launch the servicesmgr.exe and 'start all' the Backup Exec services (default: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\)

10. Launch Backup Exec to confirm all all jobs, history and settings are present from the original media server
*If the Backup Exec services fail to start, please check the event viewer and refer to the tech notes in the related documents section below for assistance

Also refer to the technote " http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67296 ". If you are not changing the version of Backup Exec then there is no need to perform the step 9 from the technote. All the other steps remains the same.

You can push install the remote agents again to the remote server so that the new server information will be updated in the remote agents and also any new updates that are not already pushed will be installed.

Thanks,
-Sush...

ritchiescholten
Level 3

Hi is there a way to do it so the servers can have different names.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you'd refer to the TN below which someone else hid in their post above:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67296