cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing and/or updating files in archived tape backup

Mike_Eldridge
Level 4

Hi,

We have a few tapes with files that are archived from our system onto a couple copies of tape. Once in a while someone will give me a file that needs to be added to a folder or replace a file in the folder. Is there a way to do this without restoring the whole archive and making changes and then re-archiving it?

I really do not want these added/replaced files to be in another spot or anything because they will get forgotten about if someone requests the files/folder later. I am hoping there is a way to do this without writing the whole archive back from tape as I do not know if i have the room to restore it all just to add a few files.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Unfortunately tape is a serial storage device and it is only random access devices like disk storage (with replication technology not traditional backup technology) that can achive what you are after.

Similarly if someone comes to you and asks you to delete one file from all backup sets - you wouldn't be able to do it

Mike_Eldridge
Level 4

I assumed that would be the case but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Even if this can be done, it is not kosher from a legal stand-point, it is like altering or deleting your old records.