cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replicate the dedup folder to a remote server

Lykantroph
Level 4

HI;

I have a question, is it possible to replicate the dedup folder in backup exec to a other remote media server in a other destination?.

Thank you

Lykantroph

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You can't replicate the dedupe folder like you can a B2D.  There is more to the folder, it's database, and the catalog to make it feasible.  

You can setup another BE media server, with dedupe option, and CASO to replicate the data between media servers, and only the deduped blocks would be replicated, and the catalog updated correctly.

Above explaination is from the below forum thread.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/site-backup-de-duplication-folder

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to point out something abouth AmolZeroCool's answer - he has in essence given the correct detail to answer the original question - just his comment about replicating B2D is wrong - you should not replicate that data either.

Gob
Level 3

Colin could you expand on that a little more? I'm wondering because I currently have a backup to disk folder on my media server, but I would like to have that copied off to another folder on a separate host so I have 2 copies on disk.

Is this something that can be done within BE or could it be just as simple as copying the backup to disk folder to the remote network folder?

Thank you.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Gob

You can setup B2D folders on two different network shares, but you should not copy data between them

You can, however, run a DUPLICATE job so that your data resides in two places (kind of a Belt and Suspenders thing - I like that cheeky)

teiva-boy
Level 6

I've replicated B2D folders, and tested restores, and they work.  Of course, YMMY and it is not an officially supported practice.

There are a lot of reasons this could fail, e.g. dropped packets, packet corruption, etc..  But it's possible with solid links using SAN replication or products like Double-Take.  Of course I guess since we're on a Symantec forum, I have to plug Veritas Volume Replicator as part of Storage Foundation too.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To "replicate" the dedup folder, you need to have dedup folders on the media server and the remote server.  You run a backup job to the dedup folder on the media server and then use a duplicate job to duplicate the the backup to the dedup folder on the remote server.  Only the changed blocks would be copied over.  This is called optimised dedup.  You can read about this in the Admin Guide.