cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request Help On Symantec Backup Exec

Level 3
Request help as title above. I am new and now I am going to deploy the Symantec Backup Exec. I have a few question on these:

i) First is it the server machine need to install the Symantec Backup Exec? If yes, is it same with the software that we install for the client? How to configure at the server?
ii) How to configure the Symantec Backup Exec on the client site? How to use it to backup whole pc data?

If ok can please print screen so that I have an idea how to do it with efficient.

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You'd do it like this to install the full version:

1. Install your CD into the CD-ROM, and double-click Browser.exe
2. Choose your setup language, and click OK.
3. Choose Start the Backup Exec Installation.
4. It will give you a welcome message, and you can click Next.
5. Choose the option for Local Install, and make sure Additional Options is selected. Click Next
6. The next screen is your license screen. Put in a license, hit Add, and do this for any additional licenses before clicking Next again.
7. The next screen shows all your options installed (with a tick next to the entry), or available as trials (with an empty white block). Click Next, or select what else you'd like to check out before clicking Next.
8. Review, and then click Install and let the installation run.

Once done, it will ask you for a username/password. You need to use a domain account (if you're in a domain) with admin rights. Backup Exec would be installed, and you can now start playing around with it.

Installing the Remote Agent can be done in 1 of 2 ways:

1. From Backup Exec itself (in your backup selection list, you would either browse your domain, or your selection list. Right-click the server, and choose: Install Remote Agent/Advanced Open File Option... and then follow the prompts.
2. From the installation directory itself, choose Browser.exe, and when the splash screen shows up, choose: Start the Backup Exec Remote Agent Installation. Follow the prompts.

Let me know what else you need...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Hi Avatar,

Installing and configuring Backup Exec isn't as hard as you think it is.
Check out this link (in HTML format):
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/308993.pdf+installing+backup+exec+12.5&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=za

or here (in *.PDF format)
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/308993.pdf

For the quick installation guide for Backup Exec. From my side, I have always kept my installations simple. Nothing strange to it really. You would install the full version of BE with all your licenses on your server, and then install Remote Agents on your remote servers. Your licenses installed on your media server mean that when you install RAWS on your remote servers, these will allow you to see what is installed. So Exchange, SQL etc.
From there, you create your backup jobs and select the data you want to back up.
If you need help with that, give me a shout.

Good luck, but it is easy and you will get the hang of it quickly.

Level 3
Hi CraigV

But it doesn't show how to install the backup exec on the server machine. Is it the same way of how to install the Backup Exec Client?
Where can I get the Remote Agents to be install in the server machine?

CraigV
You'd do it like this to install the full version:

1. Install your CD into the CD-ROM, and double-click Browser.exe
2. Choose your setup language, and click OK.
3. Choose Start the Backup Exec Installation.
4. It will give you a welcome message, and you can click Next.
5. Choose the option for Local Install, and make sure Additional Options is selected. Click Next
6. The next screen is your license screen. Put in a license, hit Add, and do this for any additional licenses before clicking Next again.
7. The next screen shows all your options installed (with a tick next to the entry), or available as trials (with an empty white block). Click Next, or select what else you'd like to check out before clicking Next.
8. Review, and then click Install and let the installation run.

Once done, it will ask you for a username/password. You need to use a domain account (if you're in a domain) with admin rights. Backup Exec would be installed, and you can now start playing around with it.

Installing the Remote Agent can be done in 1 of 2 ways:

1. From Backup Exec itself (in your backup selection list, you would either browse your domain, or your selection list. Right-click the server, and choose: Install Remote Agent/Advanced Open File Option... and then follow the prompts.
2. From the installation directory itself, choose Browser.exe, and when the splash screen shows up, choose: Start the Backup Exec Remote Agent Installation. Follow the prompts.

Let me know what else you need...

Level 3
Thanks CraigV. Now I am still waiting for my senior to pass the installer for me. If I have any problems I will ask you again.

Thank you very much.

Level 3
Yes CraigV. At the server machine, is it any configuration to be set before starting to use? How to set if needed? At the client site, what I need to configure?

Thank you.