cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Require a solution as per tape hardware LTO2 & Backup Exec version

BALAJVAK
Level 3

Hi All ,

First of all i would like to tell you the backup exec version & Tape library H/w details

Backup Exec version : 12.5

Tape Library Hardware Details :IBM Product ID :ULT380-TD2  , LTO2 Tape drive

When ever onsite person changes backup tape the tape library is showing offline from backup exec & some times it sowing the library door was not closed properly

To fix the isue currently im a following a sequntial reboot of server + tape library

Need a solution to fix the issue ,

Regards

Vaka

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If your media server's OS is Windows Server 2003, make sure the Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled as this interferes with BE's lock on the drive.

If this is stopped and disabled, I'd suggest getting hold of the manufacturer's utility and doing a diagnostic check on it.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

Check to make sure the device is in the Backup Exec 12.5 HCL  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62114

Is the tape drive using Symantec drivers?

Is the Media Server updated to the most recent Live Updates?

Make sure the Tape Library has the most recent firmware

Use this link for more troubleshooting   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

When ever onsite person changes backup tape the tape library is showing offline from backup exec & some times it sowing the library door was not closed properly

What tape library are you using?

What method is being done to change the tapes?  An import/export?  a bulk load by removing the magazine?

Changing tapes should not result in the library going offline.

Alerts about a door not closed properly is probably a user education issue or a hardware issue.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If your media server's OS is Windows Server 2003, make sure the Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled as this interferes with BE's lock on the drive.

If this is stopped and disabled, I'd suggest getting hold of the manufacturer's utility and doing a diagnostic check on it.

Thanks!