cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Archive Log File from RMAN Console using Backup Exec 12.5

maxima
Not applicable
Hi all,

We have an Oracle database backed up with backup exec 12.5. Archivelogs are backed up weekly and deleted also via backup exec. RMAN catalog (a database controlfile in this case) knows about the tape backup of the archlogs, though the media id column is not populated.rman restore preview cannot find the backup piece on the tape as shown in the log extract below. I'm reasonably hopeful that I just don't know what MML parameters to send to backup exec. The backup exec interface seems to only know about archive logs on disk and listed in the current controlfile and how to restore old controlfiles over the top of the current one, neither of which is what I actually want.

I really need to be able to restore about 5 archive logs from tape ( 3gb) to catch up a manual standby, rather than ship 1 tb of backup data down to a remote site over a 10mb link to reinstantiate the standby.  So my question for those who use rman/backup exec regularly is how do you do "advanced" rman stuff, like restore archive logs, spfile or whatever from an older tape. My script is shown below -- note the SEND line can be removed without affecting the result. As you can see rman cannot locate the backuppiece required.

RMAN> @restore_archlogs.rcv

RMAN> #
2> run {
3> allocate channel c0 device type 'sbt_tape';
4> send "NBBSA_SOURCE_MACHINE_NAME=*********";
6> restore archivelog sequence 15702 preview;
7> release channel c0;
8> }
allocated channel: c0
channel c0: SID=1048 device type=SBT_TAPE
channel c0: Symantec/BackupExec/1.1.0

sent command to channel: c0

Starting restore at 09-JUN-10

List of Backup Sets
===================

BS Key  Size       Device Type Elapsed Time Completion Time
------- ---------- ----------- ------------ ---------------
766     334.75M    SBT_TAPE    00:00:16     04-JUN-10
        BP Key: 766   Status: AVAILABLE  Compressed: NO  Tag: TAG20100604T232526
        Handle: BE_oflfe2j6_1_1   Media:

List of Archived Logs in backup set 766
  Thrd Seq     Low SCN    Low Time  Next SCN   Next Time
  ---- ------- ---------- --------- ---------- ---------
  1    15702   5848294128 04-JUN-10 5849019051 04-JUN-10
could not locate pieces of backup set key 766
Finished restore at 09-JUN-10

released channel: c0

RMAN>
RMAN> **end-of-file** 

0 REPLIES 0