cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Backups more than 30 Days, Big Problem

rcunha
Level 4

Hello,
I have search at the forum and find many topics how to restore backups more than 30 days, I read many topics and see that I have to change options at Database Maintenance and Security, I configure these options on last 2 weeks like the picture here, but it´s not take effect, I see the Backup Sets older than 30 Days, buit is only possible to restore backups until 30 Days.
It´s possible to anyone help me to find where I have to configure IT ?

dayslogs.JPG

Instead of, I Change Audit logs today to 182 days. But I only see the effect tomorrow, if it´s possible to restore my backup from 08/28/2017.
This Backup Job are running more than 6 months.

I Use backup Exec 2014.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You should probably log a formal support case

Also note:  Backup Exec is not designed to run with an incremental forever strategy and as such you should run a full backup more often than you appear to be doing.

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver

1) The job history is JUST the information in the console (or reports)  about whether the job ran on a certain date - it has nothing directly  to do with being able to restore. Although it can be handy as references for what media (tapes etc) were used by a specific job

2) The availability for restore selection to be visible is linked to catalogs (and possibly catalog truncation) where:

- Catalogs are only deleted for tape based jobs, when the tape is overwritten (which is loosely linked to media set protection settings but also requires a new backup to run after the protection dates end)

- Catalogs for disk or deduplication based jobs are deleted when the backup set is expired and reclaimed

- Catalog truncation reduces the details we keep a record of in restore selections to just the whole of the backup set instead of the individual items (files etc)  so should be used with care if you want the ability to restore individual files going back any length of time

- As catalogs can get large over time- it is recomended that you make sure that  the catalogs folder is stored on a volume with plenty of disk space (and therefore almost certainly not the C: drive of the server itself)

- For tapes you can overwrite a full backup before the chain of incremental backups are overwriteable  - but should plan it so that you do not do this as this as it will mean not being able to restore from the incremental chain back to the full, so you should use longer overwrite protection settings for the full and/or make sure the full tapes are not online in the library (or are only online with  the correct media set or physical overwrite protection) until you know you no longer need the backup set

- For disk and deduplication backup, BE removes the backup sets and the catalogs as background operations but will ONLY do this when the complete incremental chain is expired AND addtionally when it is NOT the last complete backup chain of a specific set of data.

As these above concepts are complicated you should research catalog handling as well as use of media sets (for tapes) and data lifecycle management (for disk and deduplication). We cannot possibly describe all the details in a forum post as it woud more or less means writing the admin guide again.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Sush---
Level 6

Hello rcunha,

First of all let us know if the backups are on disk or tapes. The picture that you have posted is related to cleaning of aged entries from the database during the Backup Exec Database Maintenance and has nothing to do with the deletion of the backup sets.

If the backups have been taken to disk then go to that particular Disk storage details to the Backup Set section. If you are able to see the backup sets it means the data is present and you should be able to restore the same. Right click on the required backup set and select the "restore" option.

If the backup is taken to tape then insert the required tape and see if you are able to see the backup sets for the same. If not, then it means that the catalog for that backup sets is deleted (you data on tape is still present unless overwritten). Now perform an Inventory & Catalog of that tape which will recreate the catalogs for that tape and you should be able to see the data for restore.

Regards,

Sush...

Colin_Weaver

Have you spotted  that there as a date based filter applied at the top of the restore selections screen that defaults to 30 days?

Hello,
Answer the questions ok:
The Backups are on disk (15 TB Iscsi). I program The job retain 52 weeks full and 26 incremental, and its running for more than six months. IT make 2 full backups in The past.
But when I GO to backup sets, I do not see The full backup that is here some months ago, and only see backups sets until 1 month.
I do not know what happened, on Last days the incremental run again and delete The 08/28/2017, 08/29/2017 and now I have The backup set until 08/30/2017.
Another detail, when I click on this 08/30 backup set, it has the Last incremental backup, and it is not possible to restore the other Last days, I think The big problem, is that the full backup do not appear on it, and the restores are not working correctly anynore, I do not know why The full backup disappear and The incrementals too for more One month, because It completed two times on The past, on the job scheduler.

Colin_Weaver,
It is not have filter.

Hello,
I make a mistake and aceppeted solution, I do not know how to change it, guys I will have the problem ok.

Colin_Weaver

You should probably log a formal support case

Also note:  Backup Exec is not designed to run with an incremental forever strategy and as such you should run a full backup more often than you appear to be doing.

Ok Guys, another doubt.

In the option Database Maintenance and Security:
"Keep job history for data on media that have current overwrite protection", If I mark this option instead of: "Keep job history for specified number of days: 90", the history of the jobs will be deleted when the backup sets expires ?

Hello,
Someone post here, but i don´t know what happened, the post disapear. I will copy it again:

----------------
Hi rcunha,

CraigV (Level 6) posted a new reply in Backup Exec on 09-29-2017 02:39 PM :

Re: How to configure database maintenance options for especific time

Hi,

This is a retroactive step. It will retain this level of information going forwards, but doesn't reference any past data. If you wanted to look at data from 4 months ago, having made this change in the past couple of days, it wouldn't work.

Thanks!
==================

Ok, Guys. Thanks for your help, but I have some questions:

1) Supose that I have one year backup, the logs and information to restore is avaiable to me for restore the backup, like 8 months after, if I choose the option "Keep job history for data on media that have current overwrite protection" ?

2) What is the better to always have the information to restore and not have so much logs:
a) Keep job history for data on media that have current overwrite protection
or
b) Keep job history for specified number of days: 90", the history of the jobs will be deleted when the backup sets expires
* Because my intention is only have the information to restore my backups until one Year.

Colin_Weaver

1) The job history is JUST the information in the console (or reports)  about whether the job ran on a certain date - it has nothing directly  to do with being able to restore. Although it can be handy as references for what media (tapes etc) were used by a specific job

2) The availability for restore selection to be visible is linked to catalogs (and possibly catalog truncation) where:

- Catalogs are only deleted for tape based jobs, when the tape is overwritten (which is loosely linked to media set protection settings but also requires a new backup to run after the protection dates end)

- Catalogs for disk or deduplication based jobs are deleted when the backup set is expired and reclaimed

- Catalog truncation reduces the details we keep a record of in restore selections to just the whole of the backup set instead of the individual items (files etc)  so should be used with care if you want the ability to restore individual files going back any length of time

- As catalogs can get large over time- it is recomended that you make sure that  the catalogs folder is stored on a volume with plenty of disk space (and therefore almost certainly not the C: drive of the server itself)

- For tapes you can overwrite a full backup before the chain of incremental backups are overwriteable  - but should plan it so that you do not do this as this as it will mean not being able to restore from the incremental chain back to the full, so you should use longer overwrite protection settings for the full and/or make sure the full tapes are not online in the library (or are only online with  the correct media set or physical overwrite protection) until you know you no longer need the backup set

- For disk and deduplication backup, BE removes the backup sets and the catalogs as background operations but will ONLY do this when the complete incremental chain is expired AND addtionally when it is NOT the last complete backup chain of a specific set of data.

As these above concepts are complicated you should research catalog handling as well as use of media sets (for tapes) and data lifecycle management (for disk and deduplication). We cannot possibly describe all the details in a forum post as it woud more or less means writing the admin guide again.

Ok, Guys Thanks for your help.
I Run a Full backup on the Server that I answer at the Topic, and now is possible to see the last backups, since the day off full backup. Certainly like you describe is a problem with so many Incrementals. I will try to organize this scheduler.

Thanks.