cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore DFS

naveen_s
Level 4
I had issues when backup DFS Shares so I thought to backup DfsrReplicatedFolders instead. Now I am trying for a restore and it fails. (I am trying to redirect). Is this possible or a lost cause?

Thanks

Naveen
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
If you backed up DFS through shadow copy components - user data then its a DFSR VSS writer backup.  You cant re-direct restore. Limitation of BE and writer.

Mark

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marksw
Level 5
If you backed up DFS through shadow copy components - user data then its a DFSR VSS writer backup.  You cant re-direct restore. Limitation of BE and writer.

Mark

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

1  : We must backup DFS shares via 'Shadow Copy Components -> User Data -> Distributed File System'. 

2  : Did you stop the DFS Replication service before backing up the  DfsrReplicatedFolders?

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Things to keep in mind about backing up DFS:

-Backup Performance is greatly affected, could double the time needed for backing up those files.

-DFS Backups in this manner cannot be redirected to another location on restored like a lot of people including myself like to do when restoring files.

One workaround for the speed issue I have found but not tested is to run a Net Stop command for the DFS Replication service before the backup starts then a Net Start for that service when done.