cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Exchange Server To Original State

Kaspar24
Level 2

We have a Exchange Server 2008 witch have to go through and upgrade later on.

To test that, i've setup a new server, installed Windows Server 2008 and Symantec Backup Exec 2014. Transfered the full backup over to the new server containing the IMG00001 folder(s), B2D00001.bkf file, Changer.cfg file,[Servername].DR file and Folder.cfg. All from the BEData folder where the original backup is.

- My problem is that, the program can't find the backup, even if i choose the second local storage drive.
- Second option: I've tried booting up on the Disaster Recovery Disk burned from the program. I make it to the part where "Which disaster recovery information file do you want to use" and then pick the exchange.DR file. The step after is a mystery "Which storage devices contains the backup data for this computer?" I've picked both drives (E: and Z:), but nothing works? Neither does the folder on the paticular drive..

What shall i do? How do i manually restore the server?

It would certainly be best for me to make a full restore in my case. (For windows server upgrade test purposes)

Best Regards

Kaspar Danielsen

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

When you say transfer, did you just do a straight copy? If so, it explains why you might not be able to restore Exchange.

What you'd need to do is the following:

1. Install Windows Server 2008 and BE 2014 on the DR server.

2. Patch BE 2014 with the latest patches.

3. Take the B2D and import that into BE on the DR server by running an Inventory, then Catalog job.

4. Restore Exchange.

You need to follow Microsoft's procedures to get Exchange up and running again.

THanks!

Kaspar24
Level 2

Hi Craig (:

Could you explain the part 3. a bit more detailed?
Do you know if it's possible to restore the server from the disaster recovery disk to a original state? Like installing a image etc.?

I appreciate your answer!

Best Regards

Kaspar Danielsen