Level 4

Win03 R2 SP2 x64
Exchange 2007 SP1
Backup Exec
11.0 Rev 7170
Updates:
SP5
Hot Fix 70

I have looked at other posts and even from my old posts and I just can't get my backup to restore my exchange storage group to the rsg on the server. I am going the normal error of "Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again."

I have posted under the other title of: "Restore Single Mailbox to RSG from Exchange 2007 Backup Exec 11.0D"

However this is a different situation, i need to recover mailboxes for three users to the RSG, export that to pst(i can do this in exch console).

We have our system backup to disk then there is a job that takes the backup to disk data and puts it onto tape. Then removes the backup files from the disk.

Thanks for any help that can be thrown my way.

J

4 REPLIES 4

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Ok so you have the data duplicated to tape and we need to restore from the tape. We have to check couple of things for the error message that you gets.

1> Under the exchange tab in job properties you have to select the option to redirect to RSG.

2> Make sure while creating the RSG put all the database files and log files in the same drive.

3> Make sure you have a system logon account, you can check by clicking Network - logon account and this should have the right credentials set for it.

5> Make sure the account that you are using should have exchange organization rights on it.

pfeiff
Level 4
Hey Sazz,

Pretty much have done all that before i posted to the forum. I tried both options of doing it to the rsg and then to the rsg by typing in the name of the recovery storage group as well. The rsg was created on the same drive and the files are stored in a sub folder of which the storage group i am trying to restore to the rsg. The system logon account is the same account that is used to backup the storage group. The account also has rights to the organization as well.

Thanks..

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I wish i could have seen what is going on because there has to be something not set correctly. Is the rsg on the local dirve or on external drive?
In the restore job click on resource credentials on the left side and select the option change and use system logon account and test the credentials, it should show successful.

pfeiff
Level 4

Sazz,

Everything is on a local drive and the restore credentials are good to go. After putzing with the system for a few days I was finally able to get the system to do a successful restore to the RSG group. Now I can't be sure what did the trick, but after messing around with the RSG (creating, deleting several times) it finally took.

Thanks for your time and effort with this.

For those who are curious:

The restore group was created using the default selections from the Exchange Management Wizard (this put the recovery files under the associated store (Which was the third storage group I had for this case).

The Restore Database was mounted and the flag was set to have it overwritten by a restore.

In Backup Exec:

The restore job had the store selected that needed to be restored to the rsg. The Resource Credentials were the same that was used to backup the store. The Redirect Exchange sets was selected, I put the \\server_name in the restore to server line. Selected the redirect using VSS and the select for Redirect to RSG (exch07).

Thanks